Acacia Avenue

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Tremoside, Jul 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Hi All,

I made this slingshot for a friend. He is working as an agrarian and working with bees too - his son is running an apiary.

I wanted to create a generic and simple but well proportioned slingshot for him. After some discussion we found an acacia fork nearby one of their apiary site. So the fork and the used wax are form the same location where they're producing the acacia honey. You can see the used wax comb on one of the photos.

Tech specs:
    Robinia pseudoacacia (White Acacia). Debarked on site. Carved forks for better symmetry. BLO bath and wax coating. Double TBG 25mm to 18mm. Standard pull. OTF. Working hrs: 6.

He shot 10/5 for the first round at 10m/10cm. For me it was not as comfortable, since am a mongo (skateboard term) and holding my slingshots in my right hand, but am right handed.

It was fun to make, but I still prefer my 3D printed slingshots :D

Seljan_Acacia_01_site.jpg

Seljan_Acacia_02_debarked_on_site.jpg

Seljan_Acacia_03_view_side.jpg

Seljan_Acacia_04_view_front.jpg

Seljan_Acacia_05_view_top.jpg

Seljan_Acacia_06_grip.jpg

Seljan_Acacia_07_aim.jpg

Seljan_Acacia_08_wax.jpg

Seljan_Acacia_09.jpg

Have nice day,
    Tremo

2. Nice and great Slingshot!

Joe

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

4. Mjunda

Mjunda Junior Member

How did you get those band grooves so nice and clean? very nice slingshot as well.

5. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Nice! It got a very classical, and professional, look to it.

6. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Very good work, your friend is a lucky man! I really like the location.

7. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I have a similar one made from grava wood. Yours is very beautiful and simetric (what helps a lot for precision). The Main issue that I've found is that maybe 2 bands each side are too much for a thin grip, and interfere with stablity. So I removed one layer each side and it got much better. Of course, we are no talking about the same slingshot, so it's up to you to evaluate that. I'm leaving the heavy multi'banded for the ones with thicker grip.

Nice job!
    (my parents live in the "acacia street".....and there are actual acacias ther.... maybe it's time to hunt some forks in the weekend)

8. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

perfectly classic shooter, nice.

9. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Classic looking and a great job on the band grooves.

10. Tremoside

Drachentoeter Nice and great Slingshot!

Thank you Joe! Am happy you like it!

onnod very nice!

Onno, I've seen your post on Danny's thread, you're an active youngster for sure :). Thanks for stopping by!

Mjunda How did you get those band grooves so nice and clean? very nice slingshot as well.

Great question, thank you for that! Check my attachment about this topic. It's not a new technique, but the information might be helpful. This method is fine for handle grooves too.

Seljan_Groove.jpg

Failureisalwaysanoption Nice! It got a very classical, and professional, look to it.

Thank you mate! :)

tokSick Very good work, your friend is a lucky man! I really like the location.

Thanks! Yes indeed, that place is very nice, and since it's a forest it's much more comfortable to work. Temperature is way better than working on an open field under the sun :D BTW, your lighter shooting was cool. Also the scissor band-cut method you demonstrated!

Brazilviking I have a similar one made from grava wood. Yours is very beautiful and simetric (what helps a lot for precision). The Main issue that I've found is that maybe 2 bands each side are too much for a thin grip, and interfere with stablity. So I removed one layer each side and it got much better. Of course, we are no talking about the same slingshot, so it's up to you to evaluate that. I'm leaving the heavy multi'banded for the ones with thicker grip.

Nice job!
    (my parents live in the "acacia street".....and there are actual acacias ther.... maybe it's time to hunt some forks in the weekend)

Totally agree with you! In fact in this case I've made single bands as the first setup, but my friend likes to feel the power. It's just taste you know. I told him about characteristics and physics of rubber, but he has a shorter draw and smaller, but extremely strong hands. So we tried TBGdubble and now he is satisfied and can shoot a bit larger ammo.

You have to harvest some acacia for sure! Light, strong and easy to work with, but as a material it's not so attractive as exotic woods of course.

Thank you for stopping by Raul!

Antraxx perfectly classic shooter, nice.

Have to say your workis a true inspiration! You made my day with your comment! Thank you!

Flipgun Classic looking and a great job on the band grooves.

Thank you! I like your stuffs, but especially this one https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f5/i-can-yaknow-29415/

11. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Very nice natural shooter and the look is really classy. You did a very good job on this one. Thanks for sharing

12. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Simple but really great Work :D 1+

13. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I love working outside in the field and forest, nothing is wrong there like.... people!?? ;)
    Once again, great natural!!!
    I love them all but it seems like i have two left hands for making them :eek:

14. tokSick
    When i see what you build for pretty nice practical and amazing Slingshots,
    I ask me what would you build for slingshots when you have no 2 left hands?

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2013
  15. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This is very nice and extremely clean work! You did a great job on this and it really is a fine looking shooter!

16. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Realy nice and clean work. And it's made without a PC.;-)

17. LW

LW New Member

This is a very nice Slingshot, and as Failure already mentioned a nice classical design. I have a couple looking the same. Some very good shooters, not my best shooters, but very good.

I may have a poor recollection but have we ever seen one of your 3D model slingshots, I am very curious...

18. Tremoside

flicks Very nice natural shooter and the look is really classy. You did a very good job on this one. Thanks for sharing

Thank you very much! Feels good to receive a comment from you! I'm amazed by your works! That Purple Heart is sweets for the eyes for sure and the
    Multi Component Shooter is just the sweetest thing I've ever seen :)

Schultz Simple but really great Work

Thank you mate! Hope I find some time to update my zombie target thread! Thanks for the support, you're a kind person. But zombies may be on the opposite side about your kindness :D.

tokSick I love working outside in the field and forest, nothing is wrong there like.... people!?? ;) Once again, great natural!!! I love them all but it seems like i have two left hands for making them :eek:

Hah! Two left hands? I don't think so! And you're an accurate shooter as I see :thumbsup:

Drachentoeter tokSick When i see what you build for pretty nice practical and amazing Slingshots, I ask me what would you build for slingshots when you have no 2 left hands? Joe

Totally agree with you Joe! :beer:

Will This is very nice and extremely clean work! You did a great job on this and it really is a fine looking shooter!

Will, you pointed out my goal. There's is some psychology behind it. In short: In psychology there are geons (geometric ions, like cube, sphere, tube, arc, etc). When we're observing an object we try to build up the reference of it with these geons. If the form is "readable" and can be easily turned into these generic forms we can recognize it fast. Faster the recognizing process, better the understanding means we like the shape more. A great example of this is Tamara de Lempicka's
    œuvre. She used this abstraction method to build up her figures so well.

slingpit Really nice and clean work. And it's made without a PC.;-)

LOL Peter, Yes, it's without a PC :) It's much faster to make a slingshot by hand ( a simple one at least - not a cored, multi layered artwork...). Woodwork is so relaxing for me! At least it's a proof am not a 3D addict entirely :D. Have you seen my
    3D Modeling Techniques of a Slingshot (Overview) Thread? Your skull PFS was a great inspiration, thank you for that! :beer:

LW This is a very nice Slingshot, and as Failure already mentioned a nice classical design. I have a couple looking the same. Some very good shooters, not my best shooters, but very good.

I may have a poor recollection but have we ever seen one of your 3D model slingshots, I am very curious...

Thank you LW! I have to say I joined this forum because I've heard your name in a Jörg Sprave video. I've regularly checked his channel, but thought this forum is not for me. I'm much more interested about traditional slingshots nor detailed development. But when I saw his mini with your magazine solution I started to search inside this forum. Actually your two letter long user name gave me a headache for the first time :).

Nothing wrong with your recollection. I didn't post anything about my 3D slingshots. To be honest it's a time eating project. This day am over 300 working hours. And still not satisfied enough, but one of them is extremely close to the edge. I just got my confirmation mail today about the printing process. But have to say Finite Element Analyses and wall thickness optimization are never-ending stories. The biggest problem is that I have to do trials and errors and refine/reprint cycles and it takes plenty of money too. So after 4 months it's still not finished. Maybe at the end of august I can show a detailed review.

Seljan_Printshot_SneakPeak.jpg

Excuse me if your curiosity is not satisfied, but I'm currently refining the handle. It's strong enough to mount with Double TBG 30mm to 20mm. There's some flexibility in the material, but I researched a bit and the next prototype will be much stronger, thanks to FEA and biomechanic bone structure designs. My girlfriend helped me with a great article titled "Optimal Structure of Long Limb Bones". Shock absorption is great and the weight is extremely light. If you're interested some of my 3D design methods you can check my uploaded video about 3D possibilities. Link can be found in my reply to slingpit.

Thank you all for your comments!

Bests, Mark

19. Schultz

Schultz New Member

That would be grade when you once have some time for the Targets!
    Thank you for the nice Words my Friend. I think that is always depends, what you make out of the Zombies.

I find that "Zombies" living right now among us! The Guys that sitting whole day in front of the TV and consuming only what our media pretend us.
    Renember you for Example what all happend only why some mighty powerful Men say that "infidels" occupy the Holy Land. But Christians, Muslims and Jews have previously lived together peacefully where the Muslims have the might, and jerusalem was freely accessible. Just as the crusades were waged also against Christians, and witches, that get burned by the Inquisition.
    And I´am sure the same things happen today, when our mighty Men talk about War.
    For example the Entering in the Bosnia War, from Germany... And this start with our media that distract us from the face of reality, and try to influence our opinion.
    That is why I like this Forum so much, where I can talk to the real People, from the Different Countrys, and ask them what Happen in real.
    However, I try only to pull away the Guys in front of the TV, but don´t hurt anybody ;)

And I´am looking really forward to your printed 3D Slingshot! :D

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  20. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^well-said Schultz! ^