Acacia, Australian blackwood w/ multiplex core

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Cuthbert Allgood, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Cuthbert Allgood

Cuthbert Allgood New Member

what kind of superglue did you use? was it really thick or thin?<br>what did you do after you rubbed superglue all over? did you sand with 329 first? I added quite a few layers of superglue then sanded smooth with 220 grit, then 320,400 and then 0000 steel wool, then toothpaste . its incredibly shiny and clear. i am thinking about polishing further when the bands break. i like experimenting with different stuff.. I read elsewhere about using regular paper as a final polish

2. CEZ

CEZ New Member

I can see you do! Are you a carpenter or something?<br>I used about 3 layers of cheapest cyanoacrylate glue, started with 320 sand and soon jumped to 1000 and 1200, rubbed it really hard with those, couldn't find steel wool at the hardware store unfortunately. Don't have any chrome polish on me either, how do you use toothpaste?

3. Cuthbert Allgood

Cuthbert Allgood New Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0" border="0" align="center">
    <tr><td><span class="genmed"><b>hierodul wrote:</b></span></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="quote">I can see you do! Are you a carpenter or something?<br>I used about 3 layers of cheapest cyanoacrylate glue, started with 320 sand and soon jumped to 1000 and 1200, rubbed it really hard with those, couldn't find steel wool at the hardware store unfortunately. Don't have any chrome polish on me either, how do you use toothpaste?</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br>LOL carpenter? I honestly never used a tool in my life up until a few months ago when i dove into slingshot making head first.<br>I only really use a couple tools. coping saw, rasp, file, sandpaper. <br>I have a rotary tool but I find it a pain in the ass because of the dust, and im working inside a closet. Plus I like the exercise i get from working on them.<br>I find that taking my time is how i get such good results. <br>For the toothpaste, i got a damp cloth and squirted a bunch of toothpaste on it (and it was whitening toothpaste, btw) and started buffing.. when it got sticky, i added a bit more water and toothpaste and kept going.. i polished for about 30 mins or so before i rinsed it off and was happy with the results. <br>I recommend anyone should try using the superglue finish. . It was very rewarding , minus the fumes</span>