The Slingshot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mad Scientist
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello again!

Today I want to show you a frame that I made for a very dear friend of mine.
She has smaller hands, so I went for a slender hazel fork.

The frame is sculpted for hammer grip as well as support style, which I feel is suitable for a beginner.
The end was chopped, doweled and a stack of veneer inserted (beech, wenge and pine).
The surface was sanded to 240 grit and polished with extra fine steel wool (grade 0000).
After oiling it, a clear coat was applied by spray can, and finally it was polished with beeswax.

It is named Abellana, after the latin word for hazel. This wood is said to have many positive mystical attributes: Protection from evil, life force, fortunate beginnings and even immortality. While desirable, I can't vouch for any of those. Nevertheless I did my best to at least make it shoot straight :D
Abellana also contains the word "bella", meaning beautiful, which I think is quite fitting for the subtle yet complex grain this fork shows.
Unfortunately my poor photography skills don't really do it justice. That can't be helped though, so you have to take my word for it that it looks much nicer in real life.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

As you might have guessed, it comes with a dedicated box. This one has a hidden compartment for ammo and spare bands.

Hope you liked it!

·
Administrator
10,889 Posts
Outstanding work as always, bud.

·
Mad Scientist
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much everyone!
Sharing the pictures is part of the fun of building these things.
Also, I wouldn't take any pictures of them if I wouldn't need those for the posts here.
So it has an archival purpose as well, sort of ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts