A water-proof slingSHOT?

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by ABH1, Feb 15, 2014.

1. ABH1

ABH1 Member

I would like to suggest to the slingshotchannel the idea of doing a slingshot that can perfectly shoot with lethality under water at a decent range,
    how about that?

2. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Perfectly simple, construct it from PVC, and when under water, switch to an arrow, like the spear guns shoot.

Or you could copy a spear gun which does exactly that using rubber power.

I would be willing to bet that I have 2 or 3 slingshots already that could shoot a steel arrow 5 or more meters underwater with lethal force.

I suggest you expand your horizons and your knowledge base.

Most of us here have no desire to hurt or injure anyone or anything.
    I suspect almost all of us have the knowledge and the ability to do so should the situation require it.

3. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I haven't seen an underwater special on the SSC--that would be fun to watch.

Maybe this will give the big guy an excuse to shoot an episode from some blue lagoon in the tropics...

As ghost pointed out, sportfish have understood the lethality of rubber weapons for decades--should be quite doable.

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Yeah, my first thought was a spear gun since those have been around a long time. But a regular slingshot would present a particular problem - the pouch. With a spear gun, you have very strong tubes connected to a string or other material for the spear nock to set into. A pouch would provide a huge amount of drag against the density of the water, which would eat up a lot of your power. Plus, watching guns fired underwater you find out how quickly even a huge amount of power and an aerodynamic projectile are decelerated and sent off course. Any chance for an underwater slingshot having any real potential for doing some damage would have to be at a very close range, I'd be surprised if it could be effective beyond 10 feet max.

All that said, if Joerg wants to put this to the test, I'd love to see it.

5. brennanfry

brennanfry New Member

id also like to see a slingshot fired under water

6. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I'd like to see that vid, but mostly to hear Joerg's laugh from inside the scuba mask. :)

7. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 Member

Lol that would be pretty epic

8. WATERLOGIC

WATERLOGIC Banned

You want to invent the wheel ?

Best underwater harpoons are actually rubber powered sling bows - silent, strong and deadly…

If you mean shooting stones, balls it would be utmost unpractical ...

9. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

Yes Balls loose too much energy going thru water and a thin sleek arrow will travel farther and more accurately.

10. WATERLOGIC

WATERLOGIC Banned

You are right - as Leo Tolstoy said

If you want to be happy … Be !