A TP-Knife

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by LW, Oct 22, 2013.

1. LW

LW New Member

Some time ago Tysonpapa send me one of his very nice blades mad from an old file.
    I was a little lazy the last time, so I never finished it. Shame on me.
    But eventually everything will be ready sometimes, most of the time…:rolleyes:

Some measurements
    Blade length: 103 mm
    Handle: 93 mm
    Blade thickness: 3.6 mm
    Blade hight: 36 mm
    163 gramm / 5,8 OZ
    The Handle is made out of (I believe it is rosewood) with two brass pins.

A few minor changes had to be done
    I Had to make the holes bigger for the pinns and some small changes at the Ricasso.

Everything is prepared now

TP01.jpg

From here on, everything is hand done, no power tools on the handle and the polishing of the blade.

TP02.jpg

I was not sure what the handle should look like, so at the end I come to the conclusion to give the knife a classic look with a little modern touch.

TP03.jpg

I wanted that fine defined edge on the handle, and to work out that edge, a power tool is not my first choice.

TP04.jpg

I think the file structure between the handle looks very nice.

TP05.jpg

TP06.jpg

TP07.jpg

As the blade is not made by me, the focus of the pictures is more on the handle.

TP08.jpg

This blade is razor sharp, my left arm has almost no hair…:D

I'm still not sure what kind of sheath I have to build for this one.

I hope you enjoy yourself looking at the pictures… :)

2. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

Very nice. The rosewood looks great, also the pins. And i love that blade, that guy you mentioned must be really talented. :D

3. zwillie

zwillie New Member

Wonderful work.
    Pefekt woodworking for excellent blacksmithing.
    :confused: ...but normally the steel comes from the Pott.:p

Zwillie

4. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Sweet! I love it :)

Attached Files:

5. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

very nice, files make for great knifes

i still kot a file that weighs 900 gram to make a kukri from

6. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Completely awesome LW. Really nice work on that handle and the mosaic pins!
    @TP: The blade with the file stucture is really cool. Great work man!:cool:

7. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

A lovely collaboration. The visible parts of the file in the handle really catch the eye.
    Recycling in its fine art mode.

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Beautiful collaboration LW and TP - really great piece of work! So my first question, as one who rarely works with metal - and this goes out to either of you, does that file have to be treated in some way before you start to form the blade with it? Or is that just a stock file that's been shaped? (I presume with some kind of grinder or sander?) The finished product really looks great, very nicely done.

9. Courier

Courier Senior Member

Looks like a really good knife!
    Great work, both of you, TP and LW.
    I think there should be more collaborations like that in the forum.

10. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

reallly nice blade and cool handle! amazing looking! catches the eye :D

11. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

LW. You've done it once again! [​IMG] A beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL handcrafted blade.

[​IMG] You are an artisan wizard for sure! Everything you touch seems to turn into classic elegance. You always seem to have that special touch for balancing form and function evident of all of your designs and projects, and finishing them to a prefect blend of delicious perfection.

Whew! I'm having palpitations again. [​IMG] You make a person hungry just to hold this lovely blade from it's stylish file markings and silken smooth rosewood handle to the brass pins. Yes, the file structure between the handle is indeed VERY nice.

The blade specifically…. Mmmm... Super job, TP! It has a mesmerizing primitive beauty just on its own. Can't put my finger on it. Something fossilized perhaps? Kinda makes me think of Trilobites. Well it does! :rolleyes:

It definitely needs a protective sheath to lovingly cradle it. Please UPDATE us on your decision. I'd really love to see what you've chosen.

And maybe you need to show us your [ahem] "hairless" arm -- just to prove it is 'razor sharp' of course. :p

12. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

13. Lars

Lars The Evil Genious

that is just awesome

looks like an shark to me

14. LW

LW New Member

Thank you all for the nice comments.

Indeed he is…:D

You are right, on 18. October 1758 the iron heard of the “Pott” began to beat.
    And it is so sad that this tradition, knowledge and skills have almost disappeared today.

I hope ist not you on the photo … because of the nightdress….:eek:

Sometime you’ll have to start, I'm sure you're doing something very special from that.

Because you know exactly how much work this is, your comment means a lot to me. Thank you.

You are so right, yes, we should have more collaborations like this. Thank you.

:eek::eek::eek:

For the exact answer, you have to ask TP, but I think he reheated the file, and after he shaped the form (with a grinder – we call it Flex), then drilled some holes, and worked that blade. After this he had to heat the file again and hardened it otherwise the steel would be too soft and it would not hold any sharpness for long time.
    If you are interested in this process, there are a lot of YouTube videos out there.

Thank you.

Exactly what I think, maybe we could find a way to make some similar projects…?!

Thank you, you have bee a wile off, good to see you back here

I'm glad that you like it, thank you

… what should I say to your comment??? You leave me totally speechless !:eek:

[ahem] and only for your request, here is a picture of my lower leg, and the razor-sharp blade.
    rasorsharp.jpg

I hope that's not disgusting…:p

Me too… thank you

Yes that was on my mind too, thank you very much

15. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

very nice!!

TP, i love the fact you kept the file look!

16. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

[​IMG] Laughing... Okay, OKAY! I believe you!

Thank you for demonstrating the razor-sharp edge of your new blade, and as well for clarifying for us which body part you were so bravely sacrificing. For a good cause, of course!

[Ahem] And what a nice, hairy leg it is, Mr Wizard. :rolleyes:

17. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Perhaps when it's time for the next thread hijacking, we can all start posting photos of random body parts - with or without hair :eek:

I believe you may have started a new trend in posting on this forum Thistle. Let's see what develops ;)