a question for all you boardcut makers

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by kohlqez, Nov 30, 2013.

1. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

To all boardcut makers, particularly in the U.S., where do you get your lumber? Lowe's and Home Depot are great stores but I want some solid wood boards an the only choices at Lowe's and Home Depot that could be made into a slingshot are red oak, poplar, and plywood. Where can I go to get 1" x 6" x 12" walnut, cherry, mahogany, etc.?

Thanks in advance guys

2. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

You'll have to find a lumber company around your area, go on yelp and search lumber. If u are in southern California search for Austin hardwoods or rockler

3. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

^ +1 on that. An online source (which will be expensive because of the shipping) or a local lumber company/building supply place will be your only hopes. Good luck.

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Cook woods out of oregon has decent prices and a great selection but prepare to be absolutely raped on shipping.

5. CaptainBacon

CaptainBacon Knowledgeable Man

Woodcraft is a fine woodworking store that offers domestic and exotic lumber, birch plywood in awesome 12" by 12" packs (good on shipping), tools, glues, finishes, etc. They've got stores all over the states, and a website where you can find everything they carry in the store. There's only one store in Maryland, and I lucky enough to pass by it on my commute to and from work, so I'm there a lot.

6. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Cap'n B, thanks! Never knew of this store and after a google search I see theres one about 45min from me. No more getting buggered on shipping.

7. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I used to get mine from a place called 'Frost Lumber' in San Diego, CA. They have everything you can imagine and also will mill it for you if needed. CaptainBacon is right, though- you can go online and find specialty lumber stores nearby.

-Wild Bill

8. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I can't find anything small though, I'm looking for something between 1/2" - 1" x 4" - 8" x 1' - 2'. Everything I can find is either way too thin, not broad enough, or incredibly long.

9. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Wish i had a local or close Woodcraft! Got the catalog though.

10. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Pen blanks are way too small aren't they? I found some bowl blanks that might work but they're expensive and really thick like 3-4" I could do it, it would just be lots of carving. 4uglenncoco do you use pen blanks to make entire slingshots or just endcaps and palmswell?

11. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Palm swells like this

Plus they have better woods for own blanks because they r small

Attached Files: