A question about rubber

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by dannyboy, Jul 2, 2012.

1. dannyboy

dannyboy New Member

Hello all.<br><br>I have a design in mind that I'm, going to draw up and eventually make, but before I go any further I need to know about rubber.<br><br>The design requires the use of round section rubber, like you get on spearguns, but I notice that most of you guys use exercise bands. Is speargun rubber any good? Shall I carry on with my design as in is or shall I rethink?<br><br>I've never made a slingbow before, but I have made conventional crossbows, longbows, spud guns and the like before, so I'm looking forward to the challenge.

2. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

You can of course use speargun rubber, but even the thinnest type has a lot of draw weight. Plus, it is heavy and handslaps can be painful. <br><br>Speargun rubber requires very heavy projectiles as its max speed is low (maybe 50 m/s). Flat bands (Thera Band etc.) are much faster at a far lower draw. <br><br>If you plan to use regular arrows, I do not recommend speargun rubber at all.

3. dannyboy

dannyboy New Member

Thanks for the reply Joerg.<br><br>What about the round section exercise bands that thera band make. I tried to post a link, but as I'm a new member I couldnn't<br><br>Its kind of central to my design that it is round section.<br>I intend to fire ball bearings, but have a long term plan to fire flechettes, using a discarding sabot system.<br><br>Maybe its too complicated....

4. poudreverte

poudreverte New Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0" border="0" align="center">
    <tr><td><span class="genmed"><b>JoergS wrote:</b></span></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="quote">Speargun rubber requires very heavy projectiles as its max speed is low (maybe 50 m/s). Flat bands (Thera Band etc.) are much faster at a far lower draw...</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br><br>I wonder where we can find data about the speed of differents rubber bands or tubes. <br><br>How do you know that value of 50 m/s ? Do you know it for flat therabands ? is the rubber faster than a steel spring of the same power for exemple (in traction I mean)?</span>