A Pair of Deadwood Forks: The Uneven Siblings

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Belargo, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Belargo

Belargo Mad Scientist

Hello everyone,

I was asked by a friend to make them a hammer grip slingshot. Since it was supposed have a very slender grip, I opted to make two frames, just to make sure one of them fits.
    Both of them are made from beech deadwood that came from the same heap, if not from the same tree, so I call them the Uneven Siblings.

The smaller frame, Lil' One, had some soft spots that made it difficult to get a good surface. So after a rough sanding pass it was treated with epoxy resin (Breddermann E40D) and then sanded to 400 grit. The resin darkened the wood quite substantially. Another thin layer of epoxy, a sanding pass with 600 grit and some grade 0000 steel wool later, this emerged:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It can be shot hammer grip style since it has the same fork height as its bigger sibling, but personally I'd go for support style here.

[​IMG]

Big One had some wormholes and a couple of cracks, but the wood itself was in better condition. So after fixing the wormholes with CA glue, filling the cracks with epoxy and sanding to 400 grit, I gave it a treatment with Kremer's hard drying oil. This brought out a lot more of the grain and preserved a lighter color hue as opposed to applying the epoxy finish right away.
    Here's how it looks after two layers of E40D, sanding and polishing with steel wool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made a box to house that disparate pair (band sets are omitted for better visibility).

[​IMG]

Hope y'all like it

2. seppman

seppman Folding-Ladder Expert

Deadwooooooood! Really nice guys!

Belargo likes this.

3. Blankwalker

Blankwalker Active Member

4. Raptor

Raptor Member

Wow i love them both :):cool:

Belargo likes this.
  5. Knallfrosch

Knallfrosch Senior Member

Awesome pieces of work!
    Fine choice of wood, wonderful shaping and outstanding finish.
    Your friend is a lucky man,
    and I hope he can worship these masterpieces propperly ;):D

Belargo likes this.
  6. chilihook

chilihook Junior Member

Both are beautiful! And they're even in a presentation case .... nice. :cool:

Belargo likes this.
  7. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Duelling catapult case. Perfect. Beautiful look. Bet they feel great too.

Belargo likes this.
  8. kindlebear

kindlebear Slinger of Shots

9. Bugar

Bugar Member

Great job.

Belargo likes this.
  10. Drew_Bilbrey

Drew_Bilbrey Drew Bilbrey

These are great! We'll done sir!

Belargo likes this.
  11. pnutj13

pnutj13 Member

12. Belargo

Belargo Mad Scientist

Thanks!
    Yeah, deadwood rulez! not always the easiest to work with, but very rewarding in the end.

Thank you!

Thanks!

Thank you!
    I'm sure they are in good hands now and get used frequently :)

Thanks!
    The case wasn't actually asked for, I just think it adds an extra bit of flair ;)

Thanks! Yes, they feel great, it was hard to send them off to their new home. The epoxy finish has a quite unique touch to it, no wonder Be likes it so much.
    I've got to make one with such a slim hammer grip for myself now, usually mine have a bit more girth.

Thank you!

Thanks!

Thank you!

Thanks!