The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mad Scientist
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was asked by a friend to make them a hammer grip slingshot. Since it was supposed have a very slender grip, I opted to make two frames, just to make sure one of them fits.
Both of them are made from beech deadwood that came from the same heap, if not from the same tree, so I call them the Uneven Siblings.

The smaller frame, Lil' One, had some soft spots that made it difficult to get a good surface. So after a rough sanding pass it was treated with epoxy resin (Breddermann E40D) and then sanded to 400 grit. The resin darkened the wood quite substantially. Another thin layer of epoxy, a sanding pass with 600 grit and some grade 0000 steel wool later, this emerged:

It can be shot hammer grip style since it has the same fork height as its bigger sibling, but personally I'd go for support style here.

Big One had some wormholes and a couple of cracks, but the wood itself was in better condition. So after fixing the wormholes with CA glue, filling the cracks with epoxy and sanding to 400 grit, I gave it a treatment with Kremer's hard drying oil. This brought out a lot more of the grain and preserved a lighter color hue as opposed to applying the epoxy finish right away.
Here's how it looks after two layers of E40D, sanding and polishing with steel wool:

I also made a box to house that disparate pair (band sets are omitted for better visibility).

Hope y'all like it

·
Mad Scientist
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Deadwooooooood! Really nice guys!
Thanks!
Yeah, deadwood rulez! not always the easiest to work with, but very rewarding in the end.

I like it
Thank you!

Wow i love them both :):cool:
Thanks!

Awesome pieces of work!
Fine choice of wood, wonderful shaping and outstanding finish.
Your friend is a lucky man,
and I hope he can worship these masterpieces propperly ;):D
Thank you!
I'm sure they are in good hands now and get used frequently :)

Both are beautiful! And they're even in a presentation case .... nice. :cool:
Thanks!
The case wasn't actually asked for, I just think it adds an extra bit of flair ;)

Duelling catapult case. Perfect. Beautiful look. Bet they feel great too.
Thanks! Yes, they feel great, it was hard to send them off to their new home. The epoxy finish has a quite unique touch to it, no wonder Be likes it so much.
I've got to make one with such a slim hammer grip for myself now, usually mine have a bit more girth.

Thank you!

Great job.
Thanks!

These are great! We'll done sir!
Thank you!

ALL GOOD!!!!
Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts