A new way to draw

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by Dangerfield, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Dangerfield

Dangerfield Australia

My first ever YouTube movie upload and link, I hope it works!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uq-DA3HmP8[/ame]

This idea has been rattling in my head for about a week.

The animation is a bit crappy but the idea is simple.. The hand grip and trigger mechanism slides down to the forks and picks up either the string or the pouch and is then drawn as usual:)

Cheers Dave.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  2. noah013

noah013 Member

3. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

The only problem that I've seen is that if you leave it cocked for long, the bands cool off and your losing power.

4. CEZ

CEZ New Member

It has potential, you should do a prototype to see if it works. One problem I see is that maybe the handle when held at an angle might make it hard to move on the barrel.

The thing I like the most about this design is the possibility to change barrels really quick, would it be for longer draw length or bigger bands that would be already attached to the fork of the other barrel, cool!

5. Dangerfield

Dangerfield Australia

I cant see that being a problem because of the poundage you can pull:)

6. Dangerfield

Dangerfield Australia

Thanks CEZ. I did think about the handle and have come up with a solution, it adds to the tech aspect but I do like building:)

The barrels could be premade to shoot balls or arrows with different draw lengths and band sets, Thanks for the idea CEZ.

7. Dangerfield

Dangerfield Australia

Here is my Idea. I think its simple enough and I like the addition of the Safety mechanism. As for a prototype CEZ that is out of the question, I only build once and with some help from members it should work the first time;)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPUYdjDNIEE[/ame]

It should work I hope, fingers crossed.

Attached Files:

8. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Interesting, nice looking lock mechanism, and I like the rollers.

9. Dangerfield

Dangerfield Australia

Thanks Ghosth. I like the idea of the trigger/release running through the groove on top of the barrel, I think this insures that there are no accidental releases during the draw and the safety mech tops it off.

10. Dangerfield

Dangerfield Australia

I think I will test it with a band set on the forks to begin with and then try a pre-tensioned set up with rollers.

I think it is starting to look like a versatile xbow, I will start the handle tomorrow.

Dave.

11. Dangerfield

Dangerfield Australia

It passed the safety test and I am stoked that it actually works.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHh3HxQW_Hc[/ame]

12. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Nice danger quite complicated though (for a kid)

J

13. Dangerfield

Dangerfield Australia

Its not that complicated j. I did away with the rollers as it didn't need them due to the length.

The tools used were a router a drill and miter-saw

14. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Good work, I can barely see because of the video quality but I understand that you have attached the rubber to the mechanism and used rollers to "double" stretch it?

The pin at the beginning is the safety?

Very clever, post us some shooting vids and maybe some better resolution pics??

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of overly complicated mechanisms because I have learned that they break more often but that seems to be working alright!

15. Dangerfield

Dangerfield Australia

I will try for a shooting video Cez and a few still images. I have almost cut a 1inch garden stake at 60 feet:)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013