A New Catchbox!!

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by Aus_sweetnam, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Aus_sweetnam

Aus_sweetnam Professional Crayon-Eater

I recently bought one of Joerg's Rambones and it's great! but the bands have gone on it already so i patched it up for now but I'm now looking to build a catchbox from wood. I have a large, free source and I'm planning on basing it on Joerg's, found on Youtube (I'm a bit of an idea thief) and personalize it a bit. I haven't started just yet but if anyone could share some tips or ideas, even photos it'd be greatly appreciated and I'll be posting blueprints and photos of the finished box on the forum once it's finished!

2. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I cheated, city I lived in just switched us over to automated dump trashcans (we get one, used to have 4)

So to make a long story short I made one into a catchbox.

Tough, durable, lightweight, weatherproof, and able to be moved into my basement for winter shooting.

I started with this.
    [​IMG]

And it evolved over time. The carpet runner I used to catch with got moved farther back, and was screwed directly to the can. Then I added a pillow case, this really works great for slowing the balls down, sucking the energy out of them, and drop them into the bottom of the can.

[​IMG]

The steel reseting target is out of favor at the moment. Too many targets, so my eye would wander and I'd miss.

I highly recommend pop cans.

Others have used a collapsible laundry hamper, etc.

Main thing I think is to have 2 or more layers in a nice big square to catch your rounds.
    Lightest layer in front, like a pillowcase, then a towel, or denim, something with a bit more bulk. Then in back a throw rug, carpet runner, towel, etc. fastened to the box.

But that is just what worked for me.

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Buckshot500 posted a picture he had found in this thread: https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f4/catch-box-question-32385/

It looks like the old air rifle catchboxs Ive used in the past so Im going to steal this basic design and mess around with the measurements to suit me.

Anyway, most major inventions have been stolen ideas!

4. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

polytarp makes a good backstop. I have yet to penetrate it with anything I shoot from a slingshot. Dog food and cat litter bags are a good source if you buy brands that use that kind of packaging. Otherwise, 4'x6' and 6'x8' tarps are usually 3 bucks or less at your big box man's mall type places. If you catch them at the right time you can even get them for a dollar. Once you have good backstop, use something for a catch tray for the ammo to drop into.

Chief AJ has a pretty good, very cheap to make design:
    http://www.chiefaj.com/box_backstop.htm

I forgot to mention: the key to any flexible backstop is to not anchor the bottom edge of the material. The loose, floppy nature of the unsecured bottom egde is what stops the ammunition.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  5. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

THIS exactly.

My primary stops everything but my 80lb crossbow bolts. It is a pillowcase hung from the top, with sides, bottom free to move.

On a hit you can see the material pulling into a tent shape, slowing the shot to drop safely.

Crossbow bolts it would stop too if they had balls instead of pointy spikes. But it is too easy for them to slip right through the material.

PS after SHTF that little 80 lb crossbow shoots things like 2-4" sheet rock screws like a SON OF A GUN! Easy to find, disposable, I have seen it put a screw right through 2" of pink rigid foam (Blowgun target)

Those little Cobra or Avalanche pistol Crossbows have 80 lb pull, but can be quickly cocked and loaded, have good accuracy and surprisingly good punch. BudK has the Cobra for 40$ this week.

Plus they are just plain fun to shoot!

6. CJW

CJW New Member

This is my catch box. I had it made by a A/C sheet metal worker from job site . It's 4 feet wide by 3 feet high. It's angled at the back like a bullet trap. It has rod magnets on the bottom to make shot collection easy. Has 3 rods 2 to hang tee shirt back stops the third to hang targets. ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1392492900.929537.jpg ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1392492931.946219.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Slingshot Forum

7. noah013

noah013 Member

This is my catchbox. Made from some scrap multiplex and some wood I've bought. The wooden thing on the side is to stop ricochets (there are windows there). ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1392508164.464795.jpg ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1392508185.536070.jpg ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1392508211.446460.jpg

It is 61 by 61 cm big.

Hope you like it,

Noah013

8. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Purple and portable

This is my ammo catch. Cost about £4. Good for round ammo at 5 10 15 and 20 metres here t am using 11mm steel

[ame]http://youtu.be/FO2Y7Ukdlnc[/ame]

Attached Files:

9. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

The ammo

Attached Files: