a myth or a fact?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by ABH1, Aug 4, 2013.

1. ABH1

ABH1 Member

Some people say that when trapping its really important that you dont leave human smell because it will alert the prey... Well then: true or false??

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

It depends upon what game you are trapping. What is it that you are going after?

3. CJC

CJC BIG ELK HUNTER

Both true and false depends on what kind of critter your trapping. I met this trapper one time he had over 5,000 different traps. He was on a TV documentary I forgot what it was called.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  4. ABH1

ABH1 Member

Im going after rabbits, which I imagine have quite a good sense of smell

5. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

Your best option is to lay and set the traps when the rabbits are not about or active. Set them on well used game trails and try your best to make them look part of the landscape. If the rabbits suspect anything isn't as they are used to they won't go near it, the same goes for scent. I find it's best to cover the traps with the surrounding natural material to help mask any transferred odours.

6. ABH1

ABH1 Member

Ok, thabkyou for your advice, I think rabbits are mostly inactive during the afternoon up to 7 o clock or so

7. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I thought you could only take rabbits in months containing the letter R.
    Something to the effect that all the sick rabbits die from a parasite in early cold months, leaving the rabbits that are safe to eat.

Someone on here who hunts can maybe enlighten me more (or just plain straighten me out:p)

8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^
    I've heard that said about oysters, but I don't know about rabbits

9. ABH1

ABH1 Member

Well, we are in summer, and here in Canary Islands, its pretty hot or at list not cold, meave the desease you are talking about its the mixomatosis, a lethal virus, but here is quite rare, we are a couple of islands in the atlantic and as far as I know there have only been cases in gran canaria and I live in Tenerife, quite a fortunate island in ecosystems.