A mini slingshot...MADE OF LEATHER!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by HandForged13, Sep 29, 2013.

1. HandForged13

HandForged13 New Member

Yes, I know, this sounds like a TERRIBLE idea. Making something that has to withstand a lot of force out of a flexible material seems like something that should never be done. But it actually works! I used Vegetable tanned leather to make the frame and Elk leather as a grip. This is my first attempt and it's kinda ugly, but I am going to try again to make a bigger size and a little more pretty. Just so you know, the Vegetable tanned leather was boiled for about ten ,minutes and it darkened in color. If you want to make this, let it set for about 24 hours for it to be very hard. any shorter and the fork might snap.(trust me, it HURTS!)

2. HandForged13

HandForged13 New Member

the bag and cup are just for perspective and looks. Both are made of leather.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

interesting technique, i have seen resin hardened leather before but this is new. nice!

4. sasukee303

sasukee303 New Member

Nice. But is this not just a bit dangerous because if the Fork isnt Hard you can hit your hand, or not?

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Do you know if it was vacuum impregnated, I was thinking of trying it but wasnt sure. Maybe soak and clamp like micarta?

6. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i haven't got a clue, i saw it on one of Nathans slingshots

7. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Thanks anyway:).
    cheers
    dolo

8. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very interesting idea

9. HandForged13

HandForged13 New Member

Not really, The first time I didn't let the fork harden and it snapped back and hit my neck, but if you let it sit over night undisturbed, the fork is about the same strength of wood, and is hard to break with at least one layer of TBG.

10. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Seems nice....it would be great to laminate it with cloth, metal and wood...a mega micarta!!!

11. BrPio

BrPio .

Neat Idea. Another thing to consider for a stiffer leather, I'v made sword hilts from all leather and plate armor that was as stiff like wood. I soaked the laminated pieces in lacquer and pressed them and for extra strength laminate rawhide and leather mix.

12. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

^ Very good point.