a hunting section

Discussion in 'About the Forum' started by ABH1, Oct 29, 2013.

1. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hey Dolo, let me tell you what his words mean to me (what I had in mind reading those:) )

The US was a child of Europe, the first North Americans were Europeans
    with their european cultures. Then others followed, melting pot, all that..
    What came to my mind was Buffalo Bill!- and european "hunters" shooting
    thousands of buffalos as drive by shootings out of american trains, leaving
    them out on the ground for the maggots and ants.

THAT was on my mind.- So NOT at all disrespecting anyone today..

And to me greed an idiotism is a global phenomenon!
    (Like the Ferengi deciding to stay on earth in the 60´s,
    being sure to make BIG deals with those humans doing
    nuclear testing IN THEIR OWN ATMOSPHERE ;) )

kind regards,

Be

2. It is necessary because there are people who enjoy hunting.

Those who hate hunting have no right to censor, harass and/or moralize the people who enjoy it.

3. dolomite

dolomite Banned

So true Be! The american buffalo went nearly extinct due to european hunters, all the animals killed so they could make blood money on fur as well as starve the natives by wiping out their food source.

To clear things up a bit, Dick Cheney hit exactly what he was aiming for in my opinion.

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

those who hunt have these rights though? Notice the conversation was civil until tilia started throwing insults due to being proven wrong? I've said my piece without rudeness, too bad we all couldn't.

5. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

bullocks... i insulted no one... you just want to feel insulted it seems to me

also this is not a insult...

also i realy dont feel like im proven wrong... just some people have no understanding on what and how nature works... want to eat meat but dont want blood on their hands... leaving others to do the dirty work. and then sit on their high horse looking down and judging those who do have red hands

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  6. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

I wonder if when you read that again, would you choose the very same
    words?- Would you pass a bill/law like that?
    Because then this would possibly lead to all sorts of violence, for
    anyone could do anything unless someone stronger transforms him
    into a "Panda Bear" (thanks for that one, Will :) )
    There´s soo many stupid people out there, all trained to enjoy!..
    Doesn´t that scare you?

- just asking -

Be

7. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Questionable hunting methods aren't exactly unheard of in Europe, too.

Reinhard Mey sang this back in '74:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2-h46TFeN0[/ame]

Translation of the first verse:

At Hohenhecke Palace in Niederlahr
    - day just broke -
    Sir Bodo invited, like every year,
    to the diplomat's hunting event
    through fields and river flats
    after hairy boars
    through meadows and brush
    to catch the stag
    which Sir Bodo for serious cash
    has placed here himself

:)

Seriously, people are people, no matter where they were born, live, and die. The layer of culture is thin and easy to bear with.

8. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

europe has some custionable hunting metodes to that tru...
    its done by the aristocrats the nobility mostly, english fox hunt is a good example
    and the methode of driving the prey with a line of people towards a second line of shooters is also not what i call hunting, thats just a massacre

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I haven't seen any examples of someone censoring or harassing anyone here. Just because a debate gets heated, I don't think it qualifies as censorship or harassment. I think you may be confusing that with other forums that lock down threads and delete posts. I've been on sites that do just that. Joerg allows a very wide latitude for discussion here and has already acknowledged that those who express those opinions with jokes, videos, songs or recipes are free to do so.

No, harassment would have to be something more. Trolling someone on their personal email account, for example. Taking the issue outside of the thread. No one here, no matter what side they are on is being either censored or harassed on this thread.

The free exchange of ideas comes with a cost - all voices get to be heard, including those of the people that disagree with you. If someone chooses to express their disagreement through posting other ideas, that's just part of the right to be free. It is neither good nor bad, it just is.

I would say that pushing for a separate section meant just for those who like hunting is closer to censorship than the occasional recipe post.

A little advice from someone who occasionally discusses religious topics on other sites - if you can't handle hearing the other person's point of view on a topic, just don't bring it up. Otherwise, if you choose to post on an admittedly touchy subject, don't be surprised when you get responses that don't support your point of view. I personally enjoy debate, even when it's with someone I don't agree with, and even when it gets heated. I find it's when I learn the most about myself and what I believe.

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

And don't forget the kid that came here recently asking for advice on how to basically 'poach' birds with his slingshot. He was talking about illegal activity and was basically bragging about it. I don't recall where in Europe he was from, but yes, you can find good and bad people everywhere. Poor sportsmanship knows no geographical boundaries.

11. dolomite

dolomite Banned

For the record, the proven wrong was about the birth of the slingshot as we know it and not about hunting.
    English fox hunt is good example...for us! Realize it's been outlawed as barbaric.

12. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

i dont feel like im proven wrong on that to, before it was first manufactured as a toy people already used them for small game

its how the human mind works.. if some thing can throw a projectile it can be used to destroy something and if its powerfull enough it can and will be used to kill beast or man, thats just humans creative mind

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Again, I think you over-generalize Tilia. Of course humans have a knack for turning things into weapons: hammers, cars, trucks, planes, pencils, razor blades, underwear....

But I go back again to what I said about the development of the slingshot itself. Regardless of what people eventually used it for, according to the best information I could find, it was not initially developed as a weapon, but rather as a toy. Prove me wrong by providing better information than I have, and I'll be happy to acknowledge it. As I said, I'm going off of what I could find to date.

And, I'll just say this - I've had access to guns (regular and BB), knives and many different dangerous objects most of my life. I've never killed or injured an animal or another human with any of them. Just because some humans turn the everyday object into something to be feared doesn't make the object itself bad, nor does it imply that the reason an object was created was to kill or maim. Just because someone uses a slingshot to hunt, does not automatically classify the slingshot as a hunting device. It is a device that CAN be used for hunting. Nor does it make all people bad because some choose to use various objects in these ways.

14. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Ok, so go to a HUNTING forum leave this for slingshots on their pure essence.
    Joerg said that he does not want it here. Can you make hee change his mind?

Here! I found one for you!
    http://www.huntchat.com/

15. Brazilviking

And now........WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE TODAY???? IS IT A HALLOWEEN THING???

Attached Files:

16. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

i already posted the video of the slingshot in bow form
    slingshots have many forms, like a ballista, and the trebuchet
    it seems to me like you ignore them and only want to focus on a rubber band

investigate the origin of the word catapult, what a slingshot is and be amazed

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  17. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

than stop fighting :p

18. dolomite

dolomite Banned

all we are saying
    is give peace a chance

19. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I did investigate it and I posted the definition of "slingshot" in an earlier post today - you may want to go back and read it to educate yourself. I can't say I was that amazed, however. I'm simply going by the accepted definition of "slingshot", that's all. If you want to call a trebuchet a slingshot, go ahead. I'll respectfully disagree, at least according to the definition.

Again, feel free to show me an alternate definition, as defined by some authority such as a dictionary or encyclopedia. When I see that, I will happily concede that a trebuchet, a ballista, a bow or whatever else fits in this category, is in fact a slingshot. I'm not above admitting I'm wrong, but I'd appreciate seeing the evidence first.

By the way, here is another definition of "slingshot"":

From the Oxford Dictionary:

noun
    chiefly North American a forked stick, to which an elastic strap (or a pair of elastic bands connected by a small sling) is fastened to the two prongs, typically used for shooting small stones.

From the Longman Dictionary:

sling‧shot [countable] American English
    a small Y-shaped stick with a thin band of rubber across the top, used to throw stones [= catapult British English]

From the Collins Dictonary:

a Y-shaped implement with a loop of elastic fastened to the ends of the two prongs, used mainly by children for shooting small stones, etc Also called (in Britain and certain other countries) Catapult

So, are you now as amazed as I am?

20. Brazilviking

Let me put it this way:its about the life the animal lived before dying, was it free to enjoy life and free to do what it wanted...and it does not meet the hunter...and keep being alive.