A gypsy tab experiment.

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Flipgun, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Hello Folks! I was at the SSf watching Charles's video on simple and easy gypsy tabs and was led off into a line of thought by a lil' aluminum shooter that had the tabs secured with a screw and an acorn nut. I got to thinking about how this could be done without tools and I came up with the idea of button hole tabs. They are just pouches with small holes and a slit. [​IMG]

Then I knocked out a lil' frame to test the concept. I drilled holes in the fork to avoid stressing the wood and epoxied some screws in place. [​IMG]

Then I "buttoned" the tabs on.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did not get the screws in far enough to keep the tabs from rotating and twisting the bands, so I opened the tab and wrapped and tucked the back band down. However I noted that if you wanted to you could let the tabs fall to the side and have an outside the fork shooter or inside and have a through the fork shooter on a wide enough frame. I realize that this set up is more of a benefit for chained bands or looped tubes, but I thought it was kind'o cool.

Thanx for Lookin' and Happy Shootin'!

2. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I saw the same video on youtube and was looking at doing something similar.

Nice job, looks like a cool little shooter :)

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice work on those tabs Flipgun. I like that idea and may have to employ it in one of my builds down the road.

6. cobble01

cobble01 New Member

I like that you epoxied the screws in. Would not be a happy sight to have one pull out and fly at your head and eyes. Great design!

7. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Wow, this looks so much like the strap locks on my electric guitar. As long as the screw stays put, it's very strong.

I might suggest bolting through the wood with a nylon/steel locknut, if the screws ever pull out.

Very good idea though, cheers!

Attached Files:

8. Flipgun

For a larger shooter with stronger bands I agree. This was just a BB shooter to illustrate the idea. But the screws go almost all of the way through the wood and I did not skimp on the epoxy. I appreciate the input.:cool:

9. walkslo

walkslo Member

Looks like a good idea till -
    i hope not but you could be wearing one of those screws in the ear if you shoot butterfy style or a nose piece
    From jack kolher's book don't put anything on those forks, that you don't want coming back at you

10. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

Good idea, looks good. Thanks for sharing. This forum is full of great ideas:)

11. Flipgun

I guess that could be a concern, I think that the leather would probably tear first. But as they say, "What CAN go wrong WILL." We don't play with the safest toys.:)