A Gift from Will

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Withak, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

A little over a week ago, Will and I met in person. We had talked about doing this for over a year as Will was working in the area, we just never managed to make it happen. Well I had some extra time off over the holidays and contacted him to see if we could work something out. We met up for breakfast and spent about 2 hours chatting about slingshots and other stuff.

For those that may be wondering, Will is as genuine in person as he is on the forum. What you see is what you get. I think we both really enjoyed the time together.

During that time, Will presented me with a gift. Over a year ago, I had sent Will a gift during the 2013 trade. He wasn't able to participate in the trade, so I offered to send him a one-way trade. He agreed only if he could send me something somewhere down the line. I told him that wasn't necessary, but left it to him to decide what to do. As you may recall, what followed shortly thereafter was the infamous 'Christmas Torpedo' that was aimed squarely for Will's front door, showing the well-known kindness of many members from this forum. It's a great story if you get a chance to read the thread.

Back to the original trade. I was not aware that Will had held on to his plan to send something my way, and honestly, I wasn't looking for, nor expecting anything. But as we came to the end of our meeting, he presented me with his side of our belated 2013 Christmas Trade - Ashes

Some of you have already seen this creation. If you don't recall, it's a beautifully spalted piece of tamarind wood shaped into an absolutely beautiful slingshot based on the Axiom design, that is really something to behold. Since Will doesn't currently have the proper space for applying a poly finish during the winter, he left it simply oiled to bring out those beautiful lines. He did recommend a sealing coat to protect the wood, so I spent several days applying a rubbed poly finish to seal the wood and give it just a little shine. In the end, this gorgeous very lightweight, yet tough as nails slingshot will take a place among the other treasures I've received from members here.

Now that I've made my obligatory Withak-length post, you may feast your eyes once more on "Ashes", given the Withak photo treatment - which means moss will be seen in at least one photo ;) Enjoy! And thank you again Will!!

Attached Files:

2. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Now am speechless...

3. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Awesome.

-Wild Bill

4. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

feast: yes!

Will da Beast: yes!

.. you got me thinking ..

I strongly hope he DOES not work when he´s supposed not to..
    and I know he doesn´t.. Could end up in a re- torpedo.. :)

5. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Unreal. The two of you should get together and make more slingshots together.

6. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

7. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Once again, fantastic build Will. Withak, I am jealous you two were able to get together, that two hours sounds like heaven.

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

E, you finished that beautifully! It's soooo sexy.

To both E and Will, it looks like the trip to Canby is likely to happen. We should be there Friday June 12 through that Monday. Let's hope nothing happens in between.

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I know there's always a chance that your job will bring you to Oregon. If it does, let me know, maybe all 3 of us can meet. Or, maybe you'll have to be in town around the weekend of June 12th...

Thanks D! All I did was a rubbed poly finish, the rest is all Will.

Glad to hear about the June trip, I'll be looking forward to it. When it gets a bet closer, we can work out the details of the when and where we can get together.

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I hope to be in your neck of the woods soon for work. We have a new salesperson in the area that seems to be doing a lot.

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

WOW!!!
    Erik, thank you so much for the kind words, and further more, for the kind treatment of Ashes!
    What a beautiful poly coating, and the photography is second to none!
    Let me tell you, our esteemed brother Withak is just flat out fantastic. I can't wait until we get to hang out again...but this time, your little sleight of hand with the breakfast tab won't work:D!
    To be honest, this is the fourth shooter I have built with you in mind. Two of them just didn't make the cut. The other two...well, we will see on the next meeting!
    Thank you again for treating this little shooter so nicely. She couldn't have found a better home!

12. Holly S*** thats so awesome,,,

13. seppman

seppman Folding-Ladder Expert

Still a nice slingshot and a even better score!

14. nottoyslingshots

nottoyslingshots Natural Slingshots Enthusiast

That's a story. Will, Withak and all the other guys on the forum... YOU are the best. I'm so glad that I got to know you, even if for the moment, only in the virtual medium.

Those photos are great, am I the only one that sees in the first picture a two eyed onion on the lower part of the handle?

15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I did notice the 'eyes'. In fact, when I banded it up for the photos, I decided to face the 'eyes' out, away from me, so I could have an extra set of eyes "on target" ;)

16. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks Will, you are also very kind with your words.

Looks like we'll have the chance this summer to meet up with Dolo, I'm looking forward to that as I know you are too. And, if Jeremy gets to town, maybe we can tag team him and grab a meal or coffee together. I think Jeremy could use some face to face time too.

We need more meet ups around the forum. We can't let the Germans have all the fun :D

17. zippro

zippro Junior Member

woooow soooo beautyfull :)