A Folding Long Sword?

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by Odins_Zornn, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

I will accept your feedback for what it is, but I would appreciate a little sugar-coating to cover up the bitterness that i am left with after reading you comments. (Not you Will, thank you for the demonstration in tact)

Let me start off by saying that this would be a horible sword IN THE MIDDLE AGES. This is not a swashbuckler's sword, or a knight's sword, this is a lethal self defence tool for an urban environment. It has been designed for a quick response, one handed (Germans are out of luck there) opening.

As for practicality, nobody balked at Jöerg's huge "pocket" knife, this at least can be carried on a belt loop, seeing as it is only 36ish cm when folded. Also, it is designed for a modern scenario where: 1) there aren't people walking around with broadswords and other two handers 2) you are being attacked by a knife or other mele weapon wheedler 3) this isnt a swordplay weapon, this is a self defence weapon (again, a sword fight in this day and age on the street?).

This design would take a pounding. That's why it is so thick! I measured it on my model and it had an overall width of 1.5 cm (each side is about .4 cm). The hinged places are actually the strongest spots (but just barely) because it is almost solid metal at the breaks. Plus the cutting tip is an adapted form of the rapier's 1st quarter, but this one is used by the army for piercing modern armor.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  2. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

well lets say, if its only meant for self defense against people without armor, it could work. any other use will cause damage.

3. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

btw i didnt want to attack or critizise you, im just telling my oppinion, means im trying to help, the disappointment would be bigger if you would build, and then crash it at the first attempt of use.

4. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

it's a fact that a fixed blade could not be replaced by a folder in terms of strength. but folders have it's benefits besides it's weakness points and can still sustain a lot if you know how to use it.

i like this sword even if it would be just an awe-inspiring thing to scare off creeps.

there are some questions i have in mind too. "how it can be folded since the hinges are at the same side?" and "how to assemble the parts of the hinge?" for example. but like slagskimmer mike said: "There are some design challenges, but why let that stop you?"

i'll recommend to work further on this project. make models for the mechanics out of cardboard and then make models for testing the weakness points out of some brittle material like acrylic glass. maybe this never will become a sword but perhaps a foldable aircraft. don't let the idea die.

5. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

(To: Tysonspapa) One of us has the wrong expectations for the metal's properties. I don't know which of us it is. I am hoping it is you, but a sword can't built on hope. I must look into this further and the more people who research this, the more accurate the results. The metals i am considering are carbon steel, carbon fiber and aluminum (or steel) together, and titanium. You are right that normal iron or steel would not do.

Thank you for continuing to entertain my ideas.

6. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

To MaddyMax: the folding thing i will have to show later, but as for the hinge; i can explain that with words. On the inside part, there is a flat bit on top that snaps on after the outer two parts are placed in their respective holes. I know that this sounds flimsy; it is. The hinge is designed for stress in one direction. I will add a simple connection for the blades to help with the stability issue that has been brought up.

A quick way to explain the folding action is that the small one fits inside the big one. And bravo for picking up on the hinges only folding one way!

I like the idea of a folding aircraft using my sword as a wing.

7. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

nice try with words. :D i have some difficulties to first translate it in my brain into german and then visualize the image. :confused:

i mean it seems impossible to me that these parts could be stuck together if they are not "multi-parted" itself:
    [​IMG]

8. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

They are. The one in the middle is already assembled. The part that is added on later is the grey flat bit on top.

9. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

10. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

So does the folding make any sense?

11. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

yep. as long as the blade folds into two parts only. the third one confuses me a bit because it would be in the way between the first two. if this makes any sense?

12. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

Tysonspapa, do you think the sword would hold up better if the cutting and blocking edge was made from heat treated stainless steel and the main blade and mechanism housings were made from carbon fiber infused aluminum? A similar process could be used (for the carbon and aluminum fusing) as the titanium and carbon fiber fusing method that Tesla uses in their racing chassis and body?

13. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

To MaddyMax: the pieces are hollow, which is something that Tysonspapa has a problem with in terms of stability. The smallest one is small enough to fit inside the largest one.

14. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

i think ive got that wrong, is the blade meant to fold, or to be sticked together? folding could be stable enough. it surely woudlnt be the same as a sword made from one piece, but it should do the job. at least for self defence.

15. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

Yes, it is meant to fold. :)

16. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I think a functional model of this could be put together with aluminum, as a sort of test. The aluminum would be much easier to work with, unless you have machinists tools, and could be used as a template later. For the final version, I would recommend stainless steel. Its much more readily available and far less expensive than titanium, and you can use a plasma cutter to make the shapes with fairly good precision.
    One addition I could see as being helpful would be adding spring loaded detents that would engage when the blade is opened. These would help greatly to reinforce the blade, but wouldn't really hinder the closing.
    You sound very enthusiastic about this idea and I really want to see it built!

17. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

You've lost me with the spring thing. Please explain further.

If you respond quickly, I can add it to my model.

18. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Here is a simple spring detent, it was the fastest example I could find at my house. Hopefully you see the application, if not, I'll try and do better

Attached Files:

19. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

I'm still lost, sorry.

20. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Ok. Basically, it is a spring loaded knob that engages with a hole on the opposite side. It will lock in place when snapped shut, but not hard enough to prevent it from being opened. I think I have another example here that I will post shortly.