A Folding Long Sword?

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by Odins_Zornn, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

I have had this idea of an effective folding sword rattling around inside my head for about a year and a half now. I have a blue prints in my head, but I don't have the tools or materials to build it.

If this is legal in your country and you wish to talk about and possibly build one, i would be happy to make some 3D models on the computer.

2. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

folding sword sounds interesting. but i'm pretty sure i will not build it.

i always wanted to have the impossible takedown sword of this bad guy in highlander I.

3. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

i dont think thats possible. it will never be stable enough to be used as a real sword.

4. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

I know the sword you are referring to. Imagine if that folded out spring loaded in a matter of seconds. What I'm talking about fits into a 34cm handle with an 82 cm blade.

5. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

That's not actually true, Tysonspapa. It just takes a better design, my design.

6. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

would it withstand hitting a z-skull from zombie go boom?

7. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

If you use carbon steel or titanium, yes.

8. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

You would have to use it like a rapier though.

9. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

still sounding cool.

looking forward to some pics. :)

10. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Wouldn't mind seeing your design. Then we can all take a look at the things you have in mind.

11. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

This is the special hinge mechanism that i had to make for this.

Attached Files:

12. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

And here it is again, an unassembled version.

Attached Files:

13. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

This is the basic blade. The blue is a bit of streched theraband gold, the yellow is the outer portion of the hinge, and the red is the inner, free floating, portion of the hinge.

Attached Files:

14. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

This is an interesting concept.

I had an idea that the Gladius (short,roman style sword) by cold steel would be neat folded into 2-handed butterfly knife style grips.
    I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be legal to carry where I live.

There are some design challenges, but why let that stop you?

Nice graphics btw:)

15. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

I wouldn't let the design difficulties stop me, but I don't have the tools available to make this. There are features i wanted to add, but I don't know if my poor computer can handle it.

I wonder if cold steel is listening... If you are, you are welcome to have this idea for free, I just want one if you start producing them.

I recall Jöerg saying that in Germany, the blade could be as long as you wanted if it takes two hands to open.

And thnks, it took me all day (slow computer and old software). Tomorrow I might add the stuff i wanted and include a picture of it mid-unfold.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  16. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

interesting concept.

i would add interlocking devices for every hinge so that the theraband is ony for quick unfolding. once you hit/cut/stab something the theraband will rip i'm afraid.

17. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

Yes, a lock inside the center part of the hinge is a feature i am planning on adding tomorrow. And afterall, I am only using skechup, so my models aren't very accurate, I'm afraid. Another feature is a stopper to keep the blade from pulling free from the hinge.

18. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

Trust me, that will never be as good as a normal sword. Your idea is good, your drawings look good as well, but have you ever Seen how a sword behaves when it Hits something? The whole blade bends and wobbles, and that wont work with a folded blade. Also theres a giant leverage on your System, imagine if you Hit something with the tip of the blade.

19. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

I agree with tysonspapa. This is never ever going to work. These hinges will not survive one decent strike with that blade. The shear forces on the hinges are that high that they will simply pop apart. If someone (professional) had a mill and would make the mechanism super precisely out of some very tough steel I'd give it maybe around 5 decent strikes before the mechanism is worn out. It might work for stabbing if the oponent wears only light clothing.
    This is just what I belive, maybe I'm wrong. ;)

20. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I like your design, but as a practical weapon, I'm not so sure. The guys above have raised some really good points over structural concerns.
    Looking at this design, it is very similar to the manner in which a chainsaw chain links together. Perhaps an easy way to test your concept for practicality would be to modify an old chainsaw blade to make it locking.