A Favorite Quote

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WildBill, Dec 8, 2013.

1. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

There are not many places where you can find men that can fulfill the intent of this quote, but this forum is such a place-

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." ~ Robert A. Heinlein

-Wild Bill

2. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Not sure any one of us can fulfill all of the criteria there, but if you put us together...

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Good quote Bill.

Agreed. I could pull of some of that stuff, but not all of it. I could try setting a bone, but it wouldn't be pretty. And I may not be able to plan an invasion, but I can help hijack a thread. And yes, I can change a diaper. Very well, thank you.

4. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

My favorite quote:
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be"

5. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Good one!

Yet incomplete:

A MAN should also be able to:

dance, laugh freely,
    be able to make others laugh
    and to calm a crying child.
    not to mention: love unconditionally
    (which is by far the hardest part..)

Be

6. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I like that one Be,
    I'm a fan of "A man should strive to be as good a person as his Dog sees him as"

7. smithhammer

smithhammer Smithhammer

<style type="text/css">P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }</style> One of my favorites:

“How sensible is it to spend all the best part of one’s life earning money in order to enjoy a questionable liberty during the least valuable years? Not everyone may fully heed the summons of the farther places, of course. But many who think themselves shackled to civilized tasks are held only by such deceptive strands of habit, inertia, environment, doubt, resignation, lack of confidence, and often by a general misunderstanding of the make-up of man.”

- George Whelan Townsend

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

My all time favourite quote (which is framed on my wall) is the one I used to placate my mother when I gave up a career in teaching history to follow a dream. It also describes my view on modern life perfectly;

Every falconer was an historian, a man who had found the hurly-burly of present-day lunacy to be less well done than the savage decency of ages long overpowered, and overpowered because they had not been wicked enough to conquer the wickedness that time had brought to accost them.
    -
    T.H. White - The Goshawk

9. BeMahoney

what it´s (NOT) about

A Quote, somehow:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjRvAq6K654[/ame]

"Devided we stand, and together we fall..."

Be

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  10. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

HMMM, im out then :(

11. BeMahoney

I counted you in!..
    Dying galantly is not as important as the love for the living!

Greetings to you,
    My friend,

Be

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  12. ForumTech

ForumTech Administrator Staff Member

“Some of us think holding on makes us strong but sometimes it is letting go”
    ― Hermann Hesse

He's my favorite author ever. Never really get to discuss his work to much, most Americans know very little about his writings.

13. BeMahoney

..which might lead us to Siddharta Gautama, who is a good friend of mine.
    Just like his pal Amithaba.

Greetings to my favorite forum-machinist!

Be

14. ForumTech

ForumTech Administrator Staff Member

That's about what most people know. I keep multiple copies of Siddhartha to get people started on Hesse, but there are so many great books in his catalog.