A chunky bit of stick

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Flipgun, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I had built this as a ring shooter but hits on the eyes were killing it. So I pulled the rings, plugged the holes and finished it out. It has an Osage cap, a 20 minute BLO bath, 5 coats of Tru-Oil (I LOVE that stuff!) and about 4 coats of beeswax/mineral oil, buffed with a piece of grocery sack.Don't stink I think! ;) Thanx for lookin' and Happy Shootin'!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Very nice, flipgun! The cap is Osage, but what kind of wood is the fork. It has a wild grain and looks amazing!

3. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Very nice, good work!

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

That looks like someone carved it from marble!! I cannot believe that finish! I really need to find this tru-oil product, everyone is having amazing results with it

5. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

Wow that is a great finish, definatley worth the time of finishing.

6. Very nice and great work!

Amazing finish!

1+

Joe

7. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Looks really Beautifull! Nice Work :D

8. LW

LW New Member

Very nice one and a lot of work on the finish… Is that the natural color of that Wood or did you stained it? Amazing…:)
    I only use Hard wax Oil for the finish, maybe I should try the beeswax too. The Tru Oil is not available in Germany… :(

9. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Thank you All! I found this fork as I do most; in the trash. It is very likely that the main wood is Red Tipped Photinia. A landscape shrub that colors well wiih BLO. The Tru-Oil finish is SO simple. You wipe on thin coats with a cotton cloth and let dry (which happens in a couple of hours) Buff each coat with 0000 steel wool, wipe down and re-apply. EASY beautiful finish. If you cannot find it as Tru-Oil, look for it in most gun shops as stock finish. F**ck poly or CA! I'll never use anything else!

10. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I was going to ask the same!

11. Courier

Courier Senior Member

I really like the color and grain of the fork! Also the Osage endcap is great.
    Your finish is working incredibly good! The slingshot is shiny and looks very smooth.
    Well done. :)

12. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

13. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Very nice slingshot, i love the wood and your finish is awesome my friend.
    Great job!!

14. zurdoman95

zurdoman95 Member

This ss seems incredible that wood is beautiful has a distinguished touch