80lb Cobra printed magazine

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by doobedoobedo, Nov 20, 2020.

1. doobedoobedo

doobedoobedo New Member

I got an EK Archery Cobra 80lb crossbow a little while ago and heavily inspired by both the sliding legolini and Jorg's ingenious designs I thought I'd have a go at making a magazine for it. This is the third iteration of the design and it now both works flawlessly and doesn't break :). The only thing left to do is to put a hook at the end of the lever to stop from cocking when empty. 7 shots in the magazine.
    IMG_20201120_173941_smaller.jpg IMG_20201120_174043_smaller.jpg

2. DukeHighway

DukeHighway New Member

Wow, great work! Some people (at least everyone with a 3D printer) could save a lot of money, if you would release the stl files :D
    How long did it take to design it?

3. doobedoobedo

doobedoobedo New Member

Cheers :). I developed it over about 3 months on and off. The bulge at the front is for strength, it could probably be a bit narrower, but it was made for the bolts I had to hand, too narrow and it has a tendency to break. The main body was originally printed in two parts to get it to fit on my old printer build platform, but I needed a bigger printer to produce parts for another project, so the latest version is printed as a single piece. It fits on a 300x300mm platform. Not including the two picatinny rails I printed there are only 3 printed parts which make up the functional part of the magazine.

I'm not sure where I could release the files to, but I wouldn't release until I had a version where you didn't need to remove the safety.

This is one of those applications where printing really makes sense economically. The two steambow products I'm sure are priced about right considering the cost of development, and either low volume machining or buying tooling for injection moulding. Injection moulds aren't cheap and for low volume that really pushes prices up. I personally don't think there's much overlap between those who would print their own and those who would buy a commercially produced product.

I'd love to see other printed designs, I'm sure there are far more talented modellers out there who would do things differently.