The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
6-inch "W" slingshot with arrow rest

The "w" needs no introduction, as it was popularized by Joerg Sprave on his youtube slingshot channel. It is an extremely powerful model and a classic. This one has a fork width of 6 inches. Nice and spacious, a real pleasure to hold. It comes with 2 top quality stainless steel eyebolts for ease of attachment, 6061 aircraft-grade aluminum tubing, plugs and a bolted and epoxied hammer-grip, fire-finished ultra-solid and comfortable hickory wood handle with an epoxied, extra long-toothed wood insert to screw in the arrow rest. The arrow rest is made entirely of stainless steel parts and consists of a 3 inch platform (for a bit of extra draw length which gives you a surprising amount of extra force), a high quality thumb screw and a large wingnut welded onto a bolt and secured with 2 nylon-lock hex nuts.
http://www.shockleysww4slingbows.com

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Truly a masterpiece of a Jr. High School metal shop class on the day the torch was out of gas. Nice work!

Edit- that you are asking 80 bucks for this without the 'arrow attachment' is just absurd. If you were to build it so that it looked like a professional piece that would be different, but this is more like a rip-off to me.

-Wild Bill

·
Banned
3,613 Posts
Truly a masterpiece of a Jr. High School metal shop class on the day the torch was out of gas. Nice work!

Edit- that you are asking 80 bucks for this without the 'arrow attachment' is just absurd. If you were to build it so that it looked like a professional piece that would be different, but this is more like a rip-off to me.

-Wild Bill
What he said.

28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

-Wild Bill
All my models come WITH the arrow rest attachment and are extremely cheap for what is offered. The materials are the best. These are the most powerful slingshots on the market and are made out of the best materials (6061 aluminum, stainless steel, hammer handles etc) and your choice of bands.

·
Banned
3,613 Posts
haha afraid of competition? are you selling wood slingshots? All my models come WITH the arrow rest attachment and are extremely cheap for what is offered. The materials are the best. These are the most powerful slingshots on the market and are made out of the best materials (6061 aluminum, stainless steel, hammer handles etc) and your choice of bands.
Simply not true on more than one count. The rambone, while not my favorite of all time, is at least as powerful, professional looking, and I believe its $25. With poor fit and finish, your prices are just too high. We all know what goes in to an H or W style, and it can't justify the price. As an added negative, you come on a forum ran by Jörg and say his experience with power slingshots is untrue and back it up with opinion alone? Not a wise way to make a sale, I highly doubt you'll make one sale here and there are thousands of members. There's been people that made false claims before but yours take the cake. That so called pouch invention of yours has been around for years, everyone here knows this. W style slingshots are not the end all be all of power, everyone here knows this. The denizens of this forum are, largely, well educated and quite experienced...we are not easily fooled by big speak and flashy claims. Furthermore, most of us have skill you obviously aren't aware of or don't respect, nearly all of us could pop one together in a flash. I also would worry about the arrow rest, I think having the point of an arrow behind the hand is quite negligent, a miscue by an inexperienced shooter could end up with a serious injury. Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rambone is $40 plus tax made out of PLASTIC http://www.simple-shot.com/products/rambone-slingshot-by-joerg-sprave and doesn't come with an extended arrow rest mechanism . Mine is made out of steel and aircraft grade 6061 aluminum.

Also, the rambone is not as powerful as the "W" for a simple reason: the placement of the load bearing area. Think of a building placed under strain. In which direction do the forces go? Precisely in the direction of the structures that offer the most resistance. The frame's main pull-bearing area (where most of the pulling force concentrates) is under instead of above the line of the arm and wrist. This reduces wrist strain, even as compared to the lowest-forked "Y" slingshots

As for your concerns about safety, they are unfounded. This is an extremely safe slingbow, and even joerg made one similar a while back [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cJ9JYcRlMk[/ame]
As for my new method to turn a slingshot into a bow, I'm not aware of anybody inventing it before me. Evidence?

Attachments

·
Hoden
403 Posts
The frames main pull bearing area just means it's the point in the construction with the highest structural stress. The only thing interesting for wrist strain is how high the anchorpoints of your bands is above the top of your fist. As i see on your pictures your anchorpoint is not lower than the one of a rambone.
I don't care about the price if something works....in this case lower your forks to make it work!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If I order now do I get a second one free if I pay extra shipping and handling? Or Ginsu Knives a nice set of those would have sealed the deal for me.

·
Administrator
10,882 Posts
WW4 (World War 4), some friendly advice...stop starting World War 4.

This forum is full of top notch builders, so much so that we are all humbled by each other's work - the true mark of an artisan. Yes, we throw a little arrogance around here and there, but in the end we know there is at least one other person on this forum who would have no problem recreating what we just finished (very likely better than we just accomplished). We bring our achievements in a humble manner to share with fellow builders and are ready to receive both advice and praise since we are working to better our skills. We also share the thrill of accomplishment we each get from creating something.

Perhaps you should take a few minutes off from building your slingbows and review our Slingshot Registration and Show Off Your Homemade sections to understand the abilities on this forum.

No disrespect, but if you stick around, you might learn a thing or two...

·
Administrator
10,882 Posts
Uncle Dan's Gumbo

Ingredients:

1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 lb Polish sausage, cut into 1/2 pieces
1 medium onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
hot cooked rice
chopped parsley

Directions:

1. Combine tomatoes with juice and broth in slow cooker. Sprinkle flour evenly over bottom of small skillet. Cook over high heat without stirring 3 to 4 minutes or until flour begins to brown. Reduce heat to medium; stir flour about 4 minutes. Stir in oil until smooth. Carefully whisk flour mixture into slow cooker.

2. Add sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, carrot, oregano, thyme, and red pepper. Stir well. Cover; cook on LOW 4 1/2 hours to 5 hours.

3. Serve gumbo over rice. Sprinkle with parsley

Just remember that gumbo is simply stew with special sauce. Once you make the sauce you can add anything you want to the stew. The only thing many said to stay away from is potatoes. Apparently that is a no-no in gumbo. I doubled and tripled all the veggies and meat. Since I hate okra, no okra in mine. Everything I put in mine required a long time to cook. If you do okra and shrimp, you better wait and put them in later on in the cooking process so they don’t go nasty from cooking too long.

I think I used a quart of chicken broth and quarter cup of flour.

Several tricks:

• Use a non-stick skillet to brown the flour (stir all the time as it goes brown really fast and burns really fast after that). Once it is golden brown, add the olive oil until the stuff in the skillet looks like slightly runny grits (more oil than what the recipe said). It will slowly turn a good brown. DO NOT USE A PLASTIC SPOON AS IT WILL MELT.
• Once the above is ready, mix it with the chicken broth already in the bottom of your slow cooker immediately. Mix with whisk until smooth.
• Add tomato can(s) next (I used two big ones).
• Add all the meat and veggies you want until the pot is full. Put the carrots on the bottom so they cook better. If you want to be fancy, make sure to use the colored bell peppers so it looks nicer in the pot. Red and orange work best.
• The various spices (oregano, thyme, red pepper) I added to my preferred taste.
• Add more broth to fill it to the top.

Mine was on low for 9 hours. Started stirring every half hour after 4 hours.

·
Loudest boom on Earth
1,287 Posts
Come on now folks.. this guy is much much worse than Waterlogic ! MUCH MUCH....HE WASNT SELLING ANYTHING! HE WAS JUST SHARING, and you chased him away.

·
Banned
3,613 Posts
Glazed ham recipe.
1 smoked ham
Jar of apricot jam(home made is best)
Brown sugar, 1 cup
Mustard to taste
Dash of rice vinegar

Put ham in oven on 350F for around an hour depending on size, in the meantime mix glaze ingredients to make a thick paste.

Pull ham out and apply glaze uniformly

Put back in oven until done. Hell toss some taters in to bake whilst ham is finishing.

Take a tater and cut down the center and put some pan scrapings on that beastie, grab the top slice of ham before any kitchen vultures get a chance...enjoy!

·
aka Whitehawk!
4,700 Posts
Apple Cider Pudding Cake (one of my all time favorite desserts)

Cake:

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 large eggs
2 cups packed brown sugar
2/3 cup milk
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups chopped Granny Smith apples (about 3 large)

Boiling Mixture:

2 cups apple cider (apple juice can be substituted if apple cider isn't available)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup brown sugar

Streusel:

1 cup flour
1 cup dark brown sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold butter

Coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Heat oven to 350°F.

In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, milk, melted butter and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients until just combined. Gently fold in apples. Spread in prepared pan.

In a medium saucepan, bring apple cider, cinnamon, vanilla and brown sugar to a boil. Pour slowly and carefully over the batter. Bake for 35 minutes. Meanwhile, put streusel ingredients in food processor (you can use a bowl and cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork) and pulse until butter is cut up and mixture is crumbly. After the cake has baked for 35 minutes, sprinkle streusel topping evenly over the cake and bake 8-10 minutes more (until a toothpick inserted into the top layer of the cake comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs).

Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (don’t let the cake sit too long or some of the pudding will be asorbed in the cake topping – I would recommend eating it within 20-30 minutes of it being baked).

Notes: the original recipe was for an 8x8 pan, so you can cut this recipe in half for a smaller group. I also doubled the streusel amount per my preferences, so this recipe actually represents a quadruple amount (doubled the basic recipe, then doubled again for a 9x13 pan).

If you wish to make this dessert ahead of time, up to a day in advance, here is what you need to do:

1. Bake the cake the full time (35-40 minutes depending on pan size) without adding the streusel topping. Remove from oven and cool. Once almost completely cooled, cover the cake (don’t place the covering material in direct contact with the cake or it will stick). The top of the cake should remain moist and sticky.
2. Prepare the streusel topping as normal, then spread out on a baking sheet and bake about 8 minutes, stirring once or twice during that time.
3. Once the streusel has cooled, break up into small pieces and place in a bag for later use.
4. Prior to serving the cake, place it back into a 350°F oven for 5 minutes. Remove and spread the streusel mixture over the cake. Place back in the oven for another 5-8 minutes. Remove and serve warm for the best results.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 132 Posts