5 pillars of failure

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Stringsling, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Stringsling

Stringsling New Member

That's my first slingshot ever... and it's a failure

By the way, I wanted to share with you, to explain to other newbies like me what NOT to do, and get some advices from successful people :p

[​IMG]

I planned to call it the 5 pillars of havoc, but I renamed it 5 pillars of failure...
    Why is it a failure :
    > I thought I could add 2 "pillars" forward, but the problem is it's not on rollers, so the rubber sticks on the pillars and it doesn't help at all for the stretching.
    > the handle is too small ( diameter 16mm ) for my big hands, I cannot tighten it enough.

Here it is... I'm soooo sad, this slingshot looked so good :(

Next time I'll stick to already tested blueprints...

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Your design looks very interesting, and good workmanship on everything. Pity it didn't work out. All is not lost though, it wouldn't be too difficult to turn the forward two pillars into rollers, if you still wanted to experiment with the idea. Or simply remove them.
    Nice try though!

3. Heavy work!
    Nice slingshot!
    But there will be a problem with the rubber and the copper.

Copper makes the rubber friable and it will break!

Joe

4. sureshot_slingshot

sureshot_slingshot Sureshot

:)cool concept hate that it did not work out for you though

5. Stringsling

Stringsling New Member

You're quite right, the pb is I glued the whathe****diziznamed ( threaded steel ?? ) so I have to restart everything for the 2 front pillars. And hope glue didn't slip in the screws...
    How can I make rollers? put round tube and not glue them? Use rollers from skate wheels or things like that ( don't know where to find these in 14 mm inner diameter )?

I also wonder if it's not too heavy ( 1594 grams ). I'm pretty strong for a geek but it seems to me it's overweighted. To be clear, I'm not sure it's a good desisn worth being developed further...

( sorry for my english, I try to make as well as I can, but I'm not sure I'm fully understandable. Don't hesitate to ask me if you didn't understand something :) )

[EDIT]
    VERY IMPORTANT POINT INDEED! I must make sth concerning this...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  6. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

You can add rollers, it doesn't have to be ball bearing ones, just a slightly larger pipe that fits the metal "pilar". to make it spin free, do not use oil. use graffite (is that right? I'm trying to say that center part of a pencil) .... an drill a wooden rod so it can fit around the central pilar, the palmswel....
    showing your mistakes is a wisdom act... learning from them is a wiser act.
    I would not abandon such an interesting wproject. Make it work.
    I like to create my own slingshots, avoidding the use of traditional blueprints (except for the moorhammer....one of the best, in my opinion).

Respect!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  7. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

My favorite ss to shoot right now is a w frame monster.

I agree you should try a few more things before abandoning this.

Its only too heavy if you can't hit your target. It should be very stable, light frames are only a benefit to the shooter's endurance.

Good to know about the copper--coating it in clear-coat maybe would protect it, or leather fork loops.

8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Great idea! And you were very close, 'graphite' is the material in the center of the pencil (based on the ancient Greek word meaning 'write'), and it makes an excellent lubricant for applications like this

9. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Nice job, hope you will make it work.

10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I also suggest you turn it around, so the rollers would be at the hand level and the rubber would be attached behind the hand, towards the shooter. This would give you a far more stable grip, as the slingshot will otherwise "want" to turn around.

I recommend using a length of round wooden rod with a large hole through almost the entire length, then glue it over the handle rod.

As for the rollers, keep in mind the thicker those are, the less will friction be a problem. You might want to use shorter rollers, probably made from wooden rods - this will give you more space for your hand.

Good luck

Jörg

11. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

You could try many things for the grip, put larger diameter rods over it (dowels or pipes) or even a fimo grip, it is better to have a slingshot that functions but is not aesthetically pleasing than one of the opposite.

12. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

cool desing, i would also flip it around, for the rollers i think you could just put a slightly larger pipe over the pipe that is allready there

13. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

I agree with others. I really like the look of that. It has a bit of a steampunk feel to it already.
    [​IMG] I really hope that you can continue to build on what you've got there and be able to keep its unique qualities while making it a functional shooting instrument for you to enjoy.

14. Stringsling

Stringsling New Member

I also thought of this solution when I tried to shoot with this slingshot. Maybe I can even make some kind of "handle" to put my wrist and gain stability.

Thank you :)

15. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

Without experimentation there would be no innovation! Carry on playing, you never know what innovation you will stumble on!

16. Stringsling

Stringsling New Member

What do you think could be the most efficient?

[​IMG]

@Thistle => exactly, I wanted it to look a bit steampunky :)

17. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

This concept is confusing, partially because I don't see any benefits from the 3 extra "pillars".

18. Stringsling

Stringsling New Member

I think you meant 2 extra pillars.

The idea was to mix this : [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO_Meq0Hiac[/ame]
    and this : [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGtVGjajQxU[/ame]

I thought I could have more draw length with these 2 additionnal pillars, and additionnally I thought it could look good :)

It might not be a good idea... Really I'm not sure, that's why I ask for advices :)

Aufgrund rechtlicher Bestimmungen in manchen Ländern wurde der Zugang zu diesem Artikel leider gesperrt. Wir haben Ihren Zugriff auf diesen Artikel gesperrt, da wir verpflichtet sind den Zugang zu unzulässigen Artikeln zu beschränken. Es kann leider vorkommen, dass wir den Zugang zu machen Angeboten sperren, obwohl das jeweilige Angebot nicht gegen die rechtlichen Bestimmungen verstößt. Dies geschieht aufgrund technischer Beschränkungen. Wir möchten uns bei Ihnen für etwaige daraus entstandene Unannehmlichkeiten entschuldigen und hoffen, dass Sie andere interessante Artikel auf eBay finden.

Due to legal requirements in some countries, access to this article was unfortunately locked. We have blocked your access to this article since we are obliged to restrict access to objectionable articles. It does happen that we make access lock offers, although the respective offer does not violate the law. This is due to technical limitations. We would like you to apologize for any resulting inconvenience and hope that you will find other interesting items on eBay.

I managed to see your article passing though a german proxy... Ebay's smoking too much pot, here's what I was unabled to see...
    [​IMG]
    Weapon of mass destruction? Gardening forbidden in France?

BTW It may be an idea to make rollers :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  19. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I think you had a good idea with your diagrams showing a brace for the forearm. Possibly even a strap that would take some of the weight off too. I know you're going to come up with something good here, and I'm excited to see it!