4 Weeks of slingshots!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Obl1v1Aus, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

This Friday marked the start of my mandatory holidays, so now I have 4 weeks of sling carving to tide me through till I go back to work.
    I've been hoarding some Gum Tree forks I harvested and drying them in a plastic storage tub. ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1387705744.787592.jpg
    There's a couple of beauties in there and a couple of challenges, I love a challenge.
    As they are from a gum tree they have very thick bark and are very sappy, so they are quite heavy and very strong

I've already started carving one ( the white one) after drying it in the car for a week ( hot Australian summer works wonders)

I normally hate holidays but I think I may actually enjoy these ones :D

2. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

In the words of Napoleon dynamite, "Luckyyyyyyy...."
    I look forward to seeing your results

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Nice collection

Beautiful forks,

indeed!- I just wonder if the storage boxis the right thing to dry
    those?- The water condensed on the side might be due to
    the fact that ventilation should be improved? - A damp climate
    is good for wood and tree fungi...
    A place outside, protected from rainfall could do a good
    "job", too.

Greetings,

Be

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's a nice collection of forks to keep you busy! 4 weeks of mandatory time off? Such a thing is not known in the US:) For those of us fortunate enough to get PTO (paid time off) though, it's nice to take a little time off this time of year - for Christmas, and maybe some building ;) I'm taking a short break from building slingshots as I've got a special little project for my daughter and I just started assembling my first catchbox yesterday.

Looking forward to the photos of your finished projects!

5. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks Be, no need to worry, they only spend a fortnight at most in the tub, and there is a small tub of dry sawdust that sits in their normally to absorb excess moisture. It helps loosen the thick bark so I can just peel it off with my hands ( something a wood turner told me once)
    These guys are ready for transfer to the next stage after peeling.

@Withak
    4 weeks is standard in my line of work, I work for a school and we break over Christmas, a bit like summer holidays for you guys I suppose.