3D Printed Modular Slingshot/Slingbow

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Hardtimes, May 7, 2018.

1. Hardtimes

Hardtimes Member

Hello,

This has been a project that on my mind for a long time now. I eventually focused enough to make a V1 prototype. I learned a lot of things. For one thing I really suck at making a comfortable handle shape. In this I could really use some help.

Goals:
    • Modular
    • Rock solid (perpendicular layer system)
    • Slingbow and standard attachment forks
    • Possible other fun attachments (like ruber band shooter!)
    • Ability to use arm brace
    • Space for Picatinny Rails on bottom
    • AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE (going on thingiverse AND releasing design files)
    Current issues
    • Bad handle shape
    • Unsure how to best utilize an arm brace (for heavy bands)
    • Deciding the best joint shape, will be constant across all designs when established.

Attached Files:

Bugar and CamiSchlam like this.
  2. Knallfrosch

Knallfrosch Senior Member

Interesting Project.

Regarding the handle-issue, i reccomend to let yourself be inspired by pistolgrips in general.
    Unfortunately there is no other way than trail and error to find out,
    what is comfortable in your hand. And, to make the thing worse,
    a grip that fits your hand does not nessessary fit other peoples hands the same way.
    If you want to appeal to a broad audience, i reccomend to keep it very basic,
    leaving room for customization( e.g. holes for screwed on scales or paracord), or make it to your needs specificly and let others decide whether they like it or not :).
    Since this design is already covered by different slingshot builders
    (e.g. Pocket Predator S.E.R.E.) you might wanna go in that direction without copying it.

3. Hardtimes

Hardtimes Member

well for one thing, two piece slingshots have been around a very long time. No one has a copy write on two pieces that fit together. Not only that but the joint I am using is dramatically different than other designs.

as far as the handle is concerned, I was thinking of getting inspired by the H&K p30 which has a modular grip, seems interesting.

4. Hardtimes

Hardtimes Member

v2 assembly.png

wanted to show you guys V2 of the designed, changed quite a bit, also have a schematic of the two parts together.

Thoughts? because of the direction of the layers I made holes perpendicular to the handle, I will use a pair of bent aluminum bars as arm braces, and connected with bolts.

cheers.

Attached Files:

5. Bugar

Bugar Member

I think the 3 d construction/printing is fantastic, would like to offer advice, maybe help out , but I just do not know enough about it, So the best I can do is follow the project, and be supportive with atta boy, looks like you are on to some good work.

6. Hardtimes

Hardtimes Member

thanks so much, The thing about 3D printing and design is that the turnaround from design to functional part is incredibly short. In the last day alone I have gone through 3 iterations of the handle design. Last night I had one of the biggest breakthrough when I realized I could solve the wrist brace issue AND give it a lever functionality at the same time. Here is the current shape.

v2 arm brace, palm swell.png

I'll upload the other angles in a minute, there is curve under the holes of the arm brace that lets a stick or pvp pipe sit tightly against it.

Cheers.

7. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Member

You could just use the brace from a commercial catapult and then you would only need a groove in the handle to accommodate the type that can be removed opposed to folded like on some Barnet’s! Maybes you could even emulate with a piece of rod.

Attached Files:

8. Hardtimes

Hardtimes Member