3D Modeling Techniques of a Slingshot (Overview)

Discussion in 'Tutorial videos' started by Tremoside, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Hi Folks,

I see a rising attention to modeling slingshots in CAD / 3D. I've created a video with some explanations and workflow demonstration. It's not short (18min) but I'm showing 3 different methods in different applications.

Some places my English went wrong, but it was a "straight ahead" record, so please forgive it to me ;)

The Skull example comes from Slingpit Peter :) Thank you!

Hope it is interesting and clarifies few things about this topic.

Before you ask :)

• The chosen and shown slingshot is a generic one. It's not an actual project just a demonstration. Not my design. If it's similar to great designers slingshot please give the credit to them!
    • Software are not important from this aspect. CAD, 3D, and Sculpting are the keywords
    • Preparing the video was around 1h. Cutting and converting was 3hrs.
    • I have a quite cheapo mic at the moment, this is why you hear my voice with a Dart Vader breath :cool:
    • For an actual project 3D modeling is really time consuming. Days or even a week if it's highly detailed.
    • A print ready model is weight and volume optimized, that's a hard part sometimes, but without this costs are pretty high.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD1dt_9irmM[/ame]

Please feel free to ask questions.

Bests,
    Tremo

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  2. Tremoside

As I followed the forum I see most of you are interested making blueprints (line art) for cutting multiplex for various projects.

The CAD video above shows some details on this topic, but if you are interested I can create a vector (CorelDraw) focused video with step by step style.

Please let me know if you're interested and please share your thoughts!

Thanks in a. Tremo

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Thanks Tremo! This looks very informative!
    I know that I would be very interested in watching a video based on Corel use. This would be great!

4. artons

artons New Member

I always wanted to know how the 3D works, really cool video! :D
    and if you want to make a how to video for blueprints you will surely have my attention

5. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

that was interesting, thank you. i never knew how these printers worked on the inside, only how the parts go together and what they do thanks to a very kind artist i knew who let me help build a printer for his art, but i think i understand now :)

6. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Tremor, this seems just fantastic. But seems to have a very large learning time too.
    You are a very talented person!

7. Arkaisk

Arkaisk New Member

If it wasn't for the enormous amount of learning time, I would have started right away to make slingshots this way. I'm such a bad wood carver...

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

+1 on that idea, Tremo. I learned AutoCAD as part of a mechanical engineering course many years ago - like AutoCAD version 1. But I didn't stay on that path. I do use Visio in my job to create schematics and line diagrams, but I've not had real good luck trying something like a slingshot. Having worked in programs that aren't vector type, I struggle getting 'freehand' curves, etc. without having lines running past each other, and as I understand it, in vector programs, something like an 'erase' tool that would allow you to clean up the drawing aren't going to be available like they are in a raster based program like Photoshop. So, having a tutorial from a talented engineer/designer such as yourself in a vector program would be really cool :cool:

By the way, your English is just fine. As a guy who doesn't speak another language (something I now regret not doing in school), I find no need to ever criticize someone who can speak more than one.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  9. Tremoside

Hi Etrain,

On one side I'm struggled with works and preparation of my university classes. But I picked up some new skills for making even better video tutorials and as soon as I will be able to create this video as I promised I will do it. I have many ideas on this topic including anthropometric data sheets and even a slingshot simulator. I worked with Unity (game development software) for my DLA and have this in my head almost a year or so. An application where you can adjust your slingshot parameters, aiming point, anchor, draw length, release speed and band cuts. With ammo size, wind etc. Something for simulating your stuff before you cut it.

Thanks for your interest! I will inform you if the video is uploaded!

Tremo

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That would be great, Tremo. No worries, work must come first! In the meantime, I will continue to tinker with the programs to see if I can come up with a better method.

11. youngt465

youngt465 wordpress.org/plugins/sli

Thanks for the quick tutorial. I learn from this video.