The Slingshot Forums banner

2 Slingshots

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  knifefightermike 
#1 ·

These are the new slingshots I mentioned in my Welcome post.

The small one on the left is the laminated one, made from an aluminum plate sandwiched between layers of oak and cherry. I cut the cherry tree myself and made a few boards from the logs, which I have been using for various projects. The tree was over 100 years old (we counted the rings) and was more than 12 feet in circumference at the base. The slingshot shoots OK, but as you can see in the close up, sometimes the ball hits the frame.

So because of that I probably won't stain it, but will move on to make another with a slightly higher set of forks. (At least until I learn how to flip better, I guess.)

The first set of bands was made from surgical tubing, but I switched to the red theraband both to see if that would help reduce frame hits and to practice ... this is the first set of bands I've made with the theraband rubber. I found a set of 3, one each red, blue, and gold, 6 feet long, 6 inches wide, at the sporting goods store for $14. (!)

The other slingshot is a W, and is actually the first one I ever made, using Joerg's instructional video. The handle pivots and everything. :D It shot great with doubled surgical tube bands but now that I have the good rubber, I am going to make a set of bands for it from the gold stuff. My shed had better look out, cause I'm gunnin' for it. ;)

See less See more
#4 ·
Beautiful laminated slingshot. So sorry about the fork hits, which must have been a very disappointing experience for you after all of your hard work.

Check out Arturo's video demonstration (Thank YOU Arturo!).
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW8eIxi4OWo&feature=c4-overview&playnext=1&list=TLjrcmZrlrIAg"]Explaining Sideways shooting[/ame]
I think Mr Sprave also has a sideways shooting demo video (I'll try to find it -- unless someone already knows where it is). He turns the slingshot, but doesn't 'tweak' the pouch (my understanding).

There are some other very good shooting-style demo vids by other Forum members.

We should perhaps roundup some of these videos and put them into a single 'BEST-OF' thread. Or maybe add a reference post to LW's 'tips, tricks, experiences...' thread.

#5 ·
Very nice slingshots. The frame hits are quite bad. One is obviciously very close above your hand. Thanks for posting that video Thistle. I just tried to find it. Shooting in this way will avoid any further fork hits. Glue the broken pieces on the handle, fill the dents with sawdust and glue. Staining is difficult then, cuz the glue won't take any color. I would finish with oil and beeswax after sanding.

#8 ·
Do you mean putting a twist in the bands once the shot is loaded, or do you mean twisting the bands prior to attaching them to the forks, or both? Thanks ...
Hi Mike,
Sorry i am a bit too late for aswering but i think our Shaosling Master explained it very well in his video( thanks Thistle ;) ). If you need i can make some pictures later to show you but i got to put some bands on my PFS cuz they broke.

#11 ·
Thistle, thanks very much for the great video. I tried this technique last night when I went home and it worked great, even with the 1/2" lead balls which had done the original damage. So maybe I will repair and finish it, especially since my son likes it with the red bands, he is very accurate with it shooting sideways. :)

tokSick, thanks for the advice, I played around with twisting all kinds of ways based on what you said, and that's the point right, to play around? :D

And to all, thanks very much for the kind words on my handiwork. It's always nice to get some appreciation. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.