2 new ones, fighter and small bushcraft, with more purple heart ;-)

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by Tysonspapa, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

big one is ck 60 steel, black walnut handle, the small one is an old high quality file, brass pins, purple heart scales.
    note: colours in the video are way better than in the pics.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSQbg6kxeZU[/ame]

Attached Files:

2. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

You are an artist! Know that!

4. BrPio

BrPio .

Nice. I quickly hit the "like" icon in the post.

5. zurdoman95

zurdoman95 Member

both are cool knives. generally all knives are cool. good job men
    a question about knives, I have seen many people make knives from old files, I have one that I wanted to become a knife, but I'm not sure that's a good material to make a knife, so I have understood the files are made of a very high carbon steel so it can easily break that heat treating recommend me to not break my knife?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  6. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Man, that is awesome work. Very nice! I like the Kydex sheet too!:cool:

7. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

files need to be annealed first, otherwise they are to hard to work with. means you cant drill holes in etc. put them into a forge, oven, your chimney at home, you just need around 700- 800 degrees c, means a cherry like glow. i usually throw them in our woodstove, wjhen its really hot, and let them in until the next day. then theyre soft enough. when your done with shaping, holes etc, its time to harden it. dont make a sharp edge before, leave around 0,5 mm material on the egde, otherwise it can chip off. heat the blade up to 800 degrees, you can check that with a magnet, if the blade is not magnetic anymore, you got it right. then put it in warm cooking oil. i usually put just the edge in, wait a few seconds, than i throw the hole blade in. the causes the edge to be harder than the rest. now you have to temper it in the oven at 180 degrees c for about an hour, or it will be to hard and eventually break.
    after that, you can polish and sharpen it. take care that you dont heat it up while sharpening, that means a new annealing, which makes the edge soft again.

8. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

oh and thx guys ;-)

9. zurdoman95

zurdoman95 Member

many thanks friend I am new to knives and here in Spain do not find much information. I will continue the steps you told me and I'll upload a post

10. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

No Problem. Ask me anytime.

11. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I love how you've left some of the original file markings on that smaller blade, gives it a lot of character and partners perfectly with the purple heart.

They are both awesome pieces, good work man

12. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

TP, you are the knife master ! excellent work and careful finishing, I love the big one, definitely the "assassin" LOL !
    Cheers
    Arturo

13. LW

LW New Member

You have your own style and that's a good thing. I like it the way it is.

That reminds me, we have an old project together, I will soon begin to work on it... ;)

14. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

Thanks for the annealing tips!!

15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

TP - really nice work on those knives. Just beautiful stuff.

16. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

You´re making great knives. I had a look at your store yesterday and i only can say, knives out of another world.

17. dolomite

dolomite Banned

TP, I've come to expect a certain rugged perfection in your work, you never disappoint! the smaller file knife is seriously cool, the PH scales are sweet.

18. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

nice work TP!!

19. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I should have given you my hoofrasp/file instead of raping it into a more or less knife-ish form :D . Great work on both of these