1st slingshot

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by RBurke83, May 11, 2013.

1. RBurke83

RBurke83 New Member

Hey guys, just started working on my first slingshot. It is based on Bill Hayes ergo over-the-top ss. The wood I have is a large plank of black walnut, 2 inches thick. I don't have a band saw, so I used a torsten bit to drill out the rough shape. I was going to try Joerg's Moorhammer design, but low forks are out of my shooting skill range at the moment. Honestly I don't even know exactly how to hold this design! Any tips are appreciated thanks!
    Ryan

Edit: Figured it out, it's a side shooting design... Should've stuck with the Moorhammer lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

3. RBurke83

RBurke83 New Member

Thanks Onnod! Taking a break because I can't locate my ear plugs and belt sander is making my ears ring. It's moving along, my cat approves:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Good work so far!

Did someone ever make a slingshot for cats? :eek:

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I really like that! And black walnut too...wow!! Hard to find and damn expensive when you do! Looks great so far!

6. RBurke83

RBurke83 New Member

Heh, they don't have thumbs! Some more progress, it's starting to look nice. Pardon the mess in the background, this room tends to be the junk room.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. jt-1911

jt-1911 Senior Member ProPlatinum

Wow! Which finish are you going to use?

8. RBurke83

RBurke83 New Member

Probably polycrylic, I like water based finishes - easy to maintain my brushes.

9. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Looking good! I like the shape of it and the wood of course.

10. Great Job nice. slingshot

Joe

11. RBurke83

RBurke83 New Member

I finally finished the wooden part of this slingshot! The polycrylic finish looks ok, a little too glossy imo. Also, I just got tired of sanding go it's obviously no show piece, but I just want to shoot a homemade SS. It's big and chunky, but I have big hands and I figured I should use most of that 2 inch thick piece of black walnut. Anyway I hope you like! If anyone has any tips on band length and number Id appreciate it, I want it to be general purpose, I have 6 yards of Thera Band gold.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  12. RBurke83

RBurke83 New Member

Got my bands on! 9.75 inches long, 7/8 inches wide non tapered, 2 per side. This thing is cool, I got one fork hit already, but no handslaps. I've been hitting a paper plate consistently from around 40 feet away which is probably ok for a beginner. Time to start the Moorhammer now...[​IMG][​IMG]

13. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

14. RBurke83

RBurke83 New Member

15. LW

LW New Member

This one is a very good one for your first homemade slingshot. When I saw the first picture with all the holes in the wood, I thought, Oh oh, what is he doing? But you put the holes exactly in the right position. Very nice work on the forktips, and I like the curve in the sideview. I don´t like those glossy finish for wooden slingshots, I like an oil or wax finish, which conserve the natural feeling of the wood. But that is just my opinion.
    Once again, very nice one for your first attempt. Keep on building and posting your creation.

16. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Very nice, cool work!

17. RBurke83

RBurke83 New Member

Thanks guys, I'm grateful to have this resource that is the slingshot channel!

18. stej

stej New Member

Looks like ergo shooter. I bet it holds great in hand, right? Well done.

19. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Nice Work and the Pocketpredator also one of my favorites after the "Hammershot Takedown". :D
    When this is the first I'm curious what's coming next ;)

20. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

That is superb. Black walnut is my favorite of woods I have worked.

I was getting a lot of fork hits on the first ss I made (a couple of months ago), and when i got into heavy ammo sometimes my ammo escaped the pouch early giving me evil slaps with the bands.

This all went away when i learned how to twist the pouch 90° in relation to the frame. It makes the ammo hop over your thumb when you slightly lift your index finger in the direction of the top of the Y.

I don't think I would ever have figured this out without all to great info on this forum.

I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of this problem, my cause was an inconsistent release.

Keep up the nice work.