14 railspikes

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by buckshot500, Jan 19, 2014.

1. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

My friend was able to find these near his workplace where they were left by rail-workers after the spur was installed a few years ago.

He gets the first Bowie knife I can make out of one of them.
    Hoping to get some time this coming weekend to fire up the forge I made last weekend.

Four of these will hold my rail-anvil to my tree stump stack. The rest will become knives if the forge works well enough.

Otherwise I'll eventually make a brake drum forge if I can find a supply of coal.

Attached Files:

2. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

That's a great find you got there

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Very cool. Lots of good projects sitting there!

4. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I've heard that standard barbeque charcoal briquets can work in a pinch.

-Wild Bill

5. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Really nice score I'd like to get may hands on a few of those too. Oh and I have heard the same a Bill on the charcoal. Good luck with the knives. Here a great video of a railroad spike knife build.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u74S8ZAo_E&list=TLxHTpTmturUr5CA0yVGMOtdNuBNVE5nGd[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  6. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Oh the potential.

7. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Could be made into a slingshot too. Nice Haul.

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Thats a great haul, looking forward to seeing what you can do with these :)

9. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Awesome find, i can almost see the knives they hide inside :) have fun working with them!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

10. buckshot500

Yes I've heard that too. I have limited hobby time and funds, so The coal forge will have to get built a little at a time. I plan on trying charcoal and wood until i can find some coal or coke.

Thanks, I have watched that video and a few others. I saw some spike knives at two local shops and decided I was going to try making my own since they were asking $100.00+

Funny I was thinking about that today, splitting one halfway down and mashing it out into a fork. If I can get my hand in at it, I may give that a go. I don't have many blacksmithing tools just yet, but I am learning how to make them from youtube. It would be nice to have a matching knife and slingshot, although it might be a bit heavy to tote around much.

11. Warsong

Warsong New Member

Not a bad haul! I've got a bunch laying around here somewhere that I've been planning on using, but haven't had the time yet. Also, it probably doesn't help that my "forge" is a coffee can mounted on a piece of 2x6, a bench vice with a 4 inch anvil head on it, and a 4 pound engineer's hammer. But hey, its not like I'm trying to make a Serpent Blade or anything yet.

12. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I have heard on YouTube that people like using charcoal more then blacksmithing coal because it has more carbon and every time you heat up the blade loses carbon. I hope that is right :p. Making you not lose too much carbon.

J

13. buckshot500

Right now my only forge is also a can. Just a little bigger than a normal coffee can. My workshop is my backyard and it's been cold lately. Seems like time is gonna be the hardest thing to the anvil for me.

It's been a few years since I worked in a heat treating plant, but I'm pretty sure we used an atmosphere furnace with anhydrous ammonia injected to add carbon to the steel. Very dangerous stuff that ammonia. We had to evacuate the whole plant one time because it was leaking from the pipe.

As for Charcoal or coal adding carbon, I'm not sure about that. I'm pretty sure you can hammer forge steel without loosing much carbon as long as you don't get the steel way too hot. it wants to be orange, not quite yellow. If it gets hot enough to start throwing sparks by itself, then it's too hot.
    I think files and leaf springs have a pretty high amount of carbon, shouldn't loose enough to prevent heat treatment.

Basic heat treatment of a knife blade (or tool) would be to heat the area or whole piece to "Cherry red" (not too orange) then quench in oil (or water depending on what is needed). Item will now be "file hard"

Next you'll polish, wire wheel or sand the surface of most of the metal so you can read the color of the bare metal. Now you heat it slowly while watching it turn to a light brown then brown then just a little blue. Quench it in water and it's done.

You'll finish sanding it and be careful to keep it cool so as not to turn it more blue. This is done with water in a cup at the sander or grinder. Keep dipping it to keep it cool to the touch.

14. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Thankyou this will help me ,

I'm getting a grinder this Friday for my bday and I might forget the water thing. That evacuation must have been terrible..

Don't want to know what that causes.

J

15. buckshot500

grinding will heat the metal enough to take the tempering out of the metal if you aren't careful to keep it cool. This will be evident especially if the tool is allowed to get hot enough to turn blue.

One thing I could mention is reading sparks. As you grind steel (wear safety glasses always) you will see the sparks coming off the grinder wheel. Those sparks will streak like a small meteor trail. if they just fizzle out then it's mild steel or low carbon.

If the sparks explode at the end of the streak, then it's high carbon. Cast Iron will explode with much finer sprigs and be lighter in general.

When we smelled it, we got every one out before anyone was in danger and shut the ammonia tank off outside. we fixed the leak and got it back online in a short time.

I'm not sure what exactly happens when overcome, but asphyxiation is one of the possible things, as with any type of gas leaking into any space occupied by people trying to breath air. I can tell you the scent alone would make you gag and cough. You can feel it robbing you of breathable air.

16. smurfer

smurfer New Member