why does joerg make substantially less money on youtube?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jossnaz, Oct 22, 2017.

1. jossnaz

jossnaz New Member

he mentions it in his videos but he hasn't explained

what's going on on youtube, what is the reason he is making less money?

2. Belargo

Belargo Mad Scientist

A large number of content creators on youtube suffer from this effect.
    It's a change in youtube's algorithm that makes video suggestions to the users.
    Somehow a lot of people suddenly get a lot less views on their videos, and thus the ad revenue drops.

Additionally, those mysterious algorithms also decide if your video violates youtube's constantly changing rules regarding what is and isn't acceptable. If a video gets flagged, the video can't be monetized anymore. The creator can appeal and get the video monetized again, but all revenue from views until then are lost. This is especially bad because the first few days are the most lucrative.

These are bad developments, which might change the content on youtube dramatically in the near future.

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

It all started when ads were placed next to hate speech and extremist videos, and the media created plenty of stink about that.

Then some big advertisers pulled their campaigns, saying they will only come back if YouTube makes sure their ads won't be shown next to questionable content.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ube-advertising-extremist-content-att-verizon

Up to that point, YouTube's "censors" (mostly bots and users that flagged videos for them) only knew three categories:

- Videos that violated their community guidelines and were deleted, dealing out a strike to the creator (3 strikes = bye bye).
    - Videos that got age restricted (18 and older) - those have always been un-monetizeable, so no ads.
    - All other videos

The ad dealing bots were using fairly complex routines in order to find the right video for an ad. Many things were taken into account, like who is watching these videos (age, sex, location and so on). But YouTube did NOT analyze the content.

Extremist videos usually got flagged fast, but they might have survived a day or two if they were not too popular. This made it possible for the media to find examples of hate vids WITH ads. More stink.

So YouTube reacted and installed a new, fourth, category: "Less ad friendly videos". Those are OK for the guidelines and maybe even for underage viewers, but they aren't considered OK for Verizon and ATT ads. Such videos are detected by the artificial intelligence bots. Because the bots need time to get their routines right, creators can appeal. Then a real person at YT will watch it and decide. For example, a video called "The naked truth about the fidget spinner hype" may be seen as ad unfriendly by the bots because of the word "naked" in the title. The human reviewer will correct that decision and the AIs will learn from this, hopefully.

Now there is a huge waiting list for the appeals, and videos that generate 10k views per day are first priority. Not a big problem BUT here is what I think is going on:

Channels that have videos that are considered "not ad friendly" are mostly ignored by the recommendation engines. That makes sense. Why should YouTube recommend videos made by ruffians and haters? They want to recommend videos full of ads. That is how YouTube pays its bills, after all.

For a channel like mine (I have 26 videos that are considered "less ad friendly"), that means that while my new releases still get many views (thankfully), my older videos see almost no more views. That makes sense. New releases are watched by my loyal subscribers, older videos are usually found through the recommendation system. No "recommended" videos mean fewer views, but also automatically fewer new subscribers. A downwards bound spiral that will lead to a serious downsizing of my channel.

Now this is just my theory, based on my observation. YouTube has not, at least not as far as I know, issued any statement about this. But fellow YouTube creators report the same thing. Evidence is piling up.

My hope is that YouTube will eventually catch up with the appeals (some are over a month old ans still open). Then they will hopefully determine that my videos are AOK for ads. Until then, oh boy.

4. jossnaz

jossnaz New Member

that seems to make sense.
    On the other side one has to understand, yt must have lost millions and millions because of that ad-pull of att and co. I mean otherwise this witch hunt wouldn't be justified. This isn't about a couple million dollars.

I literally just watched right now lindybeiges vid about his stance on creator - yt relationship ( [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzb8U0Bje5A[/ame] ) and I must say, I agree with him.

this isn't about the 'ad pull witch hunt' only. The group of people doing videos professionally or at least semi professionally should be treated differently. Channel wide `no terrorism` flags should be a thing and as well a thing should be how the content creators are treated just generally.

I am actually very upset about this. And i'm no exception.

Evading and bot support like lindybeige mentioned I have witnessed myself when I got blocked from Uber. It is highly upsetting. I have literally written to the CEO of uber and I was steaming.

Not sure when the first time of the yt `stink press` was. I heard the ads have since recovered.
    One can only hope they will be able to cope with it, but I have my doubts. Because if the `terror vid and my ad` is such an issue, and it seems, at least for the guys paying the ads, it is, there won't be an easy solution. Because a single video when a respected yt channel owner actually turns into a terrorist will create new issues and eventually will cost google millions. Even though, those videos would have many views, and would get flagged quickly....

so actually thinking about it, there are solutions. The problem is, how to get yt to address the issue? and of course, all they care about is their revenue. Don't get fooled. Content creators leave youtube? well it doesn't really matter, as long as the revenue created by the companies who are willing to pay is there. For google: Ad revenue > # of views.

so sitting and hoping that yt will do something for the content creators seems to be time wasted. But I might be wrong (and I really hope so)