What is going on?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brazilviking, May 23, 2017.

1. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

This forum used to be much more active... what is happening here?

2. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Seems to me that forums are a bit out of fashion. Now there are Facebook pages and WhatsApp groups, plus of course Snapchat and more. A pity, the forum has many advantages. But that is the way things go, sometimes.

3. VWbeetle

VWbeetle New Member

This forum great!

4. Drew_Bilbrey

Drew_Bilbrey Drew Bilbrey

I've noticed the decline also. I've not posted a lot recently, because I had to handle other things, but have kept checking in. I wish it was as active as before. I miss the challenges we used to have.

5. NamenloserHeld91

NamenloserHeld91 Senior Member

This forum needs a rework pretty bad. To much Threads (cant find a damn thing)! A real time chatt woud be nice.
    A map for finding other slingshot enthusiasts! A good beginners guide!
    Big problem for long time user! Now challange no fun.
    No Focus on shooting (extremly beautful slingshots here with fork hits) :D

Got more ideas but i am already late for work :D

6. vestlenning

vestlenning Sling it!

I like slingshots. And spring powered airguns. And building or modding things in general. What's in focus varies. In the workshop there's a nice home grown maple fork, but I don't know what to do with it. Some new ideas would be nice, but until then it's just hanging around. "So ist das leben" I guess - nothing wrong, just so.

PS I tried FarceBook when it was fairly new, and I left. "Snap" and "Insta" etc is not for me, I'm a forum man or nothing.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  7. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Many have shifted into other mediums as Jorg stated above. Many of these other options are far more accessible to a smart phone. This was one of the few forums that had an app. None of the rest had anything that was good so those folks ended up out on these other options, attracting away from here.

8. Knallfrosch

Knallfrosch Senior Member

I am not going to facebook, or any other social media to present slingshots or talk about slingshots.
    I am a fourm guy too. i am too old for the facebook,snapchat,twitter,instagram s h i t
    and if i only get 3 comments on a new slingshot...
    so what, i build them because I like them.
    If people don´t bother coming here to see whats new, it´s their loss :D.

Too bad we cannot link all 3 big forums together to create a mega forum.
    That would be awesome...because the US forums have the same problem.

9. vestlenning

vestlenning Sling it!

To me the small screen "smart phone" is hyped out of proportions. Short texts like SMS, email etc OK, but longer texts and especially images - ugh! I like to see pics on a proper screen, not stamp sized or one portion at the time on a "smart phone". Old fashioned? If not adopting every not so useful hype that comes along is old fashioned, then yes.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  10. Flipgun

Flipgun Active Member

"For everything there is a season..."
    Nothing flourishes all of the time, but things go in cycles and while the forums are down some (A fact noted on other forums as well.) I have no doubt this type of media is superior to others and will resurge in the proper time.
    Meanwhile this place has a rep for being a Troll Bashing, Vashkarian Stomping, Suffer No Fools kind of place and we have run them off.
    Keep Faith in this place and others like it.
    We'll be back. ;)

11. VWbeetle

VWbeetle New Member

I totally agree with Flipgun

12. NamenloserHeld91

wise words +2

To be able to take criticism for some guys here :p

13. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

My problem is that I only have so much time in each day. I have scaled back my visits to forums to once a day and I only visit items that interest me. With two kids now involved with sports, I use the little free time I have very efficiently.

14. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Yeah... free time is something that I miss a lot...:(

15. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Speaking only for myself, it is a fair list.

A Admin never has fixed the forums back to where it was. When I log in I get a list of recent topics on the right. Used to be that list was also on any thread you opened. So you did not have to open in new tab, and keep juggling back and forth.

Screw up and forget and you lose that list. Minor irratant perhaps, but an irritant.

B I am currently in a resurgance of airguns. An airgun I can shoot in my basement. More accurate than I ever was with a slingshot. At 20 feet I'm talking 5 shots into one ragged hole, every time. Or being able to hit a thumbtack sideways 4 out of 5. At 1.2 cents per shot cheaper than the powderburners. I have several which I enjoy, including a mid 70's Sheridan Blue Streak, a pair of Crossman 1322 pistols with the shoulder stock, a Hatsan 1000 with turkish walnut stock due to arrive today, and the real beast of the works. A Hatsan 135 QE Vortex that is cranking a 14.3 grain pellet to 1000 feet per second with muzzle energy well over 25 fpe. Vary's some by pellet. Like slingshots, only muscle power and projectile required. So great choice for SHTF.

C I have found other forums which are more in line with my interests. I never a great builder.

16. Flipgun

Flipgun Active Member

I always make a point of reading your posts.

17. NamenloserHeld91

The forum today:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joAcr3T9CNM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joAcr3T9CNM[/ame]

18. seppman

seppman Folding-Ladder Expert

I am checking back here every now and then. And after just a few minutes I already regret it again. The design is still broken (forum admin told me moooooonths ago, it'll be fixed "soon"), it's still slow as fu(k and many other things. Without the necessary care, it will die a bit more from day to day. mho.

19. Knallfrosch

Knallfrosch Senior Member