Spalted Forks

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Haze, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Haze

Haze New Member

Hi All,

I made one nice sling with a spalted fork but don't have any others. Does anyone know if its possible to cut a fork and bury it for 6 months and get spalting that way?

I have a huge number of forks (dropped an olive tree over the weekend and ended up with a dozen from that alone). I'd love to spalt some but don't really want to wait 6 months and then find out that there's a way to do it but that I picked the wrong one.

2. seppman

seppman Folding-Ladder Expert

3. Drew_Bilbrey

Drew_Bilbrey Drew Bilbrey

I cut some forks last year and laid them down outside my house. A lot of them (poplar) rotted too much, but some of the hardwoods have salted splendidly. I'm currently working on a dogwood fork with some beautiful salting and splitting as well. :D Character all over the place.

4. Haze

Haze New Member

5. Acorn_Man

Acorn_Man Member

I left a fork in the creek once and it just ruined it. It was birch if that matters... Idk, give it a shot and see what happens! Good luck!

6. nottoyslingshots

nottoyslingshots Natural Slingshots Enthusiast

It can be done, but you need to keep the forks "cooking" for at least 6 months.

I made for a friend this slingshot, the fork was "cooked" inside of a plastic bag with damp spalted wood sawdust.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]