The Slingshot Forums banner

Slingshot accident

8K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Ak_KiDD 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Ouch... that looks like you will need stitches.

Most likely the ball slipped out of the pouch at some point, hence the lower flight (fortunately the ball will have been slower, too).

A nice big center hole and a clean release technique is helpful. I also always twist the pouch 90 degrees and let the ball hop over my thumb. This lifts the ball up, so it flies at least 10 cm over the fork tips.

It is important now that you get back to shooting quickly before you develop a block of fear. I recommend very sturdy gloves until your faith in yourself and your weapon has returned.

#3 ·
Wow, thats gotta be painfull! Joerg do you mean you twist the pouch upwards so that it flips at mid flight?

#4 ·
Fear is indeed the utmost foe after an accident. I am really grateful, that Joerg shared his wisedom with us how to overcome this fear.
I don't had problems with this fear as of this writing, but when the time will come, I will know what to do.
Get well soon!

#5 ·
Joerg do you mean you twist the pouch upwards so that it flips at mid flight?
No... you just turn the pouch 90 degrees so the thumb is directed downwards (if you hold the slingshot vertically, non gangster style) and the index finger upwards. Then you lift the index finger. The ball will have to climb over the ball of the thumb then.

It also works in gangster style. Then the thumb will be directed towards your body and the index finger to the side.

#8 ·
Why is this happening??
i was shooting my homemade hammerhead slingshot with butterfly bands, and i must admit that i do not have alot of experience with butterfly shooting, but cant imagene why this happend, some of you anny idears why i did hit my hand??
Sorry about your ouchie, jt. Those are painful. It's probably gonna turn all sorts of pretty rainbow colors -- black and blue mostly.

Mr Sprave is correct. It looks to me like it needs stitches to close it up. Mine wasn't that bad. I covered it in Neosporin, cleaned and re-wrapped it each day. It took about a month for it to heal. No scars.
I also wore a glove so that I wouldn't re-injure it.

I'm pretty confident now, no more ouches, but I still wear a fingerless bionic gym glove. I decided that I liked the way it feels. Looks cool too.

#9 · (Edited)
sounds a bit sarcastic but you're lucky to not hit your knuckle or else like i did once.

happend one year ago and still hurts sometimes when i bend my finger. it was a 30mm steel ball with a too light bandset and lousy band attachments on a stick rifle made out of an old crutch.

the ball didn't leave the pouch and came back under the "barrel" and hit my left hand that was holding a angle grinder handle mounted underneath the "barrel".

best wishes. get well soon!

#10 ·
No... you just turn the pouch 90 degrees so the thumb is directed downwards (if you hold the slingshot vertically, non gangster style) and the index finger upwards. Then you lift the index finger. The ball will have to climb over the ball of the thumb then.
It also works in gangster style. Then the thumb will be directed towards your body and the index finger to the side.
I'm wondering if there are any close-up photo tutorials that show these two finger positions -- vertical and gangster? It took me a bit to understand this concept while trying different techniques. I'm awful with instructions. Visuals help clear the fog. A hand crater helps quickly clear brain fog too.

When we don't have clubs or experienced slingshot people to meet with in our area, we do the best we can with online instructions and self-teaching.

#11 ·
Thank you guys for the advices! it still bleeds a little but i dont think it need stitches thoug.. i tryed the same last year in the exact same spot, and to Maddymax, i dont think its possible for me to hit my knockle because im for whatever reason is shoot the ball a little left when it pas my hand, but my brother had the same problem as you for about 4 months after he hit his knockle with a too big stone. Ican clearly see that its my release technique thats the problem. anyway it was a bad start on the season, and yes i have been shooting again after the accident, but it was scarry as f***! :)

#14 ·
Thistle: A little off topic, but where do you find all your smilies? :eek: The new forum misses a few, IMO.
FIAAO, shoot me a PM.
I'm happy to share my Smileys link with you. I couldn't live without my bouncy happy ball.

Mr Sprave might not appreciate me being the source for cluttering up his forum with too many annoying emos. I try to keep them small and unobtrusive. Sooo you liked my medical assistant mummy?

jt, don't forget to show off your big ouchie to friends. That's a serious wound. You are offically a wounded soldier. They'll think it's cool, dude. Don't forget your black trench coat, gloves, and sunglasses.

#15 ·

- agree with Joerg: I twist the pouch 90 degrees (I side shoot/shoot 'gangster') my thumb nail anchors on my right jaw, below my right ear...

#17 ·
Wow, ouch, it looks like the ball pinched your skin against the frame, i once had that when three bird shot pellets hit me right there shooting shot gun style, but i got lucky they didn't break the skin like that... also goes to show why we shouldn't hunt with bird shot, one pellet by itself doesn't do much (it didn't even stop my shooting session) but any ways get well soon and its ashame you dented such a nice frame, a little sand paper should fix it up nice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.