SAL (Slingshot Arrow Launcher)

Discussion in 'Slingshot Crossbows' started by StKaaz, Jun 23, 2017.

1. StKaaz

StKaaz Member

Posted a recycled crossbow a while ago and it needed improvement. The look, the power.... not good enough and way to shabby!

So i been working on some prototypes and came up with this Slingshot Arrow Launcher (SAL).Looks allot better and shoots like a gem. Accurate up to 50 meters with 86 centimeter bolt tipped hollow steel arrows (146 grams). Muzzle loaded (working on a version with auto-loader). 3x2 theraband blue tubes clamped on a frontplate with hemp cord to tie the rubber together. Nylon string with a selftightening knot on both sides, extra hemp cord to tie off the rubber. Total lenght of SAL is 125 centimeters, two handles for stability and no fingertips scraped by the string when released. ;)

Forgot to take a picture before glueing everything together, so i'll explain the trigger system. Its a round stringholder with two notches, one for holding the string and one for the trigger to hold it in cocked position. The stringholder is being pulled back by a spring and nylon cord, so it doesn't bounce back into locked position after fireing. When you cock the weapon the trigger slides forward and keeps the stringholder in place.

Attached Files:

2. StKaaz

StKaaz Member

Working on a second version of this with a rifle shape, Slingshot Arrow Launcher Rifle (SALR).

With the safety pal on the spot where you normaly cock the trigger on an old skool hunting rifle. Photo's show how the triggersystem works. Notice that the trigger is exactly in line with the release of the Arrow. Usualy see triggers that work with the finger below the mechanism and not behind it. Just a little thing that makes the design and woodwork so much fun!

Working on a faceplate for this right now. Different from the ones that one screws on the front, bit more estetics needed ;)

Let me know what you think of it, i'm interested in your opinion and questions!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

I really like your trigger mechanism! It looks so simple yet effective. How is the friction between the the parts? Is it easy to overcome? They look rather unpolished now, are you planning on doing that?

4. Knallfrosch

Knallfrosch Senior Member

Yeah the trigger mechanism is cool indeed.
    With all the plywood this thing must be quite heavy.

Cool build.

5. StKaaz

StKaaz Member

Thanks!

There is very little friction between the parts. Sanded them with 240p sandpaper and the inside of the frame. It indeed looks like it hasn´t been sanded but it is.

6. StKaaz

StKaaz Member

Thanks!

Its made from popular tree plywood, fairly light wood. Both launchers weight about 1,5 kg each.

7. NamenloserHeld91

NamenloserHeld91 Senior Member

I hope you make a blueprint. Woud be a awesome present for my uncel!

8. Belargo

Belargo Mad Scientist

I love that trigger mechanism! Inspired approach on the revolving nut trigger.
    Does the safety engage automatically when the crossbow is cocked?

9. StKaaz

StKaaz Member

Thanks!

The safety does not automatically engage when the crossbow is cocked. This would be a something i could incorporate in a new project. Thanks for the tip thru questioning. :)