Resortera request your help on accuraci on slingrifles

Discussion in 'Slingshot Crossbows' started by resortera, Dec 3, 2015.

1. resortera

resortera Senior Member

The title says everything im tired of make and miss i let aside my DIY thinking for this time and i ask you what i can do to ghet a realy accurated sRifle what trigger is besst, what tipe off fork,
    Im aiming to a 1/4 stell ball and a a regular marbel size ones(5/8?) help whit rhe pouch sice and the omount of ruber
    Mi no comprende why so much diference betwen the shots
    thanks amigos

2. resortera

resortera Senior Member

come on at less and i dont know star feeling lonli here

3. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Rifles are not my expertise. Wait until Jörg wakes up tomorrow.

4. resortera

resortera Senior Member

Tannk u dan ur feedback always welcome by the way im working in a scroll say whit a sewing machine motor if int wrong you whant to do one too rigth? Maybe came a tut nothing you cant thing i know but like to share

5. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

I have a scroll saw that I just cleaned up and started using again. Have fun with your inventing. I hope it works well since scroll saws are very useful.

6. resortera

resortera Senior Member

It works well, just waiting my lady to give me back my angle grinder(to make te saw sokets) she was mak7ng some work for his school and how i think i overworck today to try it i gona use ruber bands as the tensor also i make a sand disk and a disng for mi first comertial slingshot the man of the liquerstore toldme to bringg ss to the shop he sells for meso ill be working hard to set up the shop on time

7. resortera

resortera Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I make the disaing on inkscape wonderfull program m7th supous look like one of this[​IMG]

8. RalphG

RalphG Member

In a slingshot the most inconsistent factor Is probably the shooter. With a rifle with trigger you are eliminating some shooter influence (well,, not on the aiming part of cause).
    Factors that influence rifle accuracy that came to mind :

- unequal band length, even little will give a tiny nudge to the left /right. The longer the shot the more pronounced the effect.

-inconsistencies in the rubber its self, despite being exactly the same length bands have a different draw weight. Theraband has to be cut to strips lengthwise so there is a larger room for introducing small errors. Tube only has to be cut square and you don't alter the width. Less margin for error here.

-inconsistent release from the pouch.

-inconsistent spanning. In regular crossbows handspanning produces less accuracy than spanning with a mechanism that works exactly the same everytime . Even small positioning of the string to the left or right onto the trigger has effects. Same should apply to Pouches.

-canting the rifle/crossbow to the left/right when shooting. That's why match crossbows are equipped with a small level to check if it's perfectly horizontal.

What I would do to check is first totally eliminate shooter error.
    Clamp the slingshot rifle in a vise on a sturdy and stable bench and fire it on a target. It doesn't matter where it is aimed but each consequent shot should hit almost the same place. If there is large variation in shot placement the rifle is simply inaccurate. And the above mentioned can be checked.

If the rifle IS accurate when shot from clamped and unmovable fixed position - then it's shooter error, you will just have to train more :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  9. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

I like your use of the piston connection rod for a slingshot/slingshot template.

10. resortera

resortera Senior Member

Thenku very much for you replay
    The sr whas clamped on a vice pouch and bands pretty simetrical( y try 3 set ups of bands) the steel ball its on the triger in a hole make for it the pouch got a center hole and triger its pretty simetricak (trigers this time its crosbow 2 parts triger ) anyways the shots got very disperse at the cardboar(marking hits whit numbers) an ther was 3 mters only

What you think stard from 0 make everything simetrical at limit and try agayn?

11. RalphG

RalphG Member

Well, since you do not know what causes the inaccuracy (shooter error in this case can be eliminated if clamped in a vise) you are likely to repeat this in a new build as well - and since you already put some effort into the build I would rather invest some more time tinkering to find the cause and then build an improved version opposed to immediately tackling a 2nd build ending up with something that also does not match your expectations - but thats just my 2 cents.

12. resortera

resortera Senior Member

see usuali thats my way to do things i analyze y solve trubles and i dont go asking arrownd the world all my stuff the thingh here its that i dont see any grong thats way im asking the stray way to an acuarci SR so i can reshek what i do and isee if somthing scape anyways i go for two new Pouchs styls and gona cut other ruber thanks for your 2 cents :) i was goiing in a build rage

13. RalphG

RalphG Member

Its hard to give advice without knowing what it even looks like, If I had to take a guess I would focus more on the trigger and/or the pouch ,because as you said its already wildly inaccurate even at 3m.
    small band inaccuracies will tell , but at only 3m distances, if these were the lone cause, differences in band length would have to be so large you could easily spot them. Troubleshooting is always difficult, even if you have it right in front of you... Just trying to add my thinking to yours to give you an added perspective, nothing more, I dont want to tell you what you have to do:) There is no "special recipe" I ever heard of that you can just follow to get perfect accuracy every time, each build is different and personal, and may require some different tuning approach.

14. JonS

JonS New Member

15. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Once you remove all inaccuracies as you have discussed above, it comes down to the item you are stretching. Make sure the "rubber" on both sides is the same strength and length. Check that the connection methods are the same length and the "pouch" area is even and dead center.

After that, on rifles you must make certain there are no rough spots along the section of barrel where the pouch/paracord slides.