Refugee from another forum!

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by Mambarino, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Mambarino

Mambarino Plink!

Hi. I was, until today, a member of another slingshot forum that bills itself as "the original slingshot forum" and "accept no counterfeits". I was a member there since 2010, but had only made a handful of posts in the last 6 years (I have a busy life).

A few days ago I made a post there about the dangers of lead ammo, and the desirability of using better ammo like steel ball bearings or even clay balls.

The moderator immediately posted to disagree with me and stated that "nothing is wrong with lead ammo". I got into an minor argument with him about this, and I posted links to scientific information showing that he was wrong.

Guess what happened next? My posts were deleted and I was banned!

I do hope this is not that sort of forum, and that members are allowed to disagree and even argue, politely (I am always polite).

In addition, I should say that I am a follower of Mr Sprave's channel on YouTube and I just love his work! :)

Guten tag, Herr Sprave!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. Dbb

Dbb Junior Member

Welcome to the forum!
    Im a newb myself but these guys seems just like nice fun people...mostly :D
    Just HAD to add that;)

3. Juggalo

Juggalo My slingshots are like me. They aren't pretty.

Welcome. You are pretty much free to post anything (within the relms of taste and decency) on this forum.

4. Haze

Haze New Member

Unless you like hunting in which case you will soon find yourself the target of a self righteous minority.

5. Knallfrosch

Knallfrosch Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. Here, you usually do not get banned for having an opinion =).

That sounds very bitter. It is true that hunting is usually not very popular
    around this forum. But that has a specific reason.
    Most users of this forum dislike cruelty against animals.
    And a lot of self-appointed hunters shoot animals
    but can not ensure the quick death of the animal.
    That sort of cruelty is not liked here and leads to angry comments.
    I do not think that it is self righteous and
    definitely not the minority around here. Hunting is nessessary.
    Especially in Australia... rabbits, toads and even kangurus.
    It has to be done.
    But using animals just for moving target practice is despicable.

6. Mambarino

Mambarino Plink!

I'm not a slingshot hunter but I DO use slingshots mainly as a way to keep birds away from my roof, from which I harvest drinking water. Birds are attracted to the gutters, for some reason. I send shots close to them, alarming them, and they tend to stay away after that!

7. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Welcome. I can promise you it wasn't me who banned you on the other forum. I'm a moderator over there but do not have any idea how to ban someone and frankly, not interested in learning either.

There is only one person that can ban on this forum and that is Jorg, himself. The only time you will ever receive such a thing is if you are not respectful to others, even when their opinion differs from you. Arguing is acceptable, just do not descend into name calling and you will be fine. Generally, Jorg gives two warnings before he bans.

Hunting discussion is permitted on this forum but not viewed positively by most. Hunting threads are actually quite exciting. Many people bring out their favorite recipes and post them for the rest of us to try.

8. Mambarino

Mambarino Plink!

The moderator was Happy Henry. Perhaps a better name is Trigger Happy Henry ;)

9. seppman

seppman Folding-Ladder Expert

Welcome to the forum. We are just witchhunting some people from time to time, but most time one is safe! Have fun! :)

10. kindlebear

kindlebear Slinger of Shots

Welcome to the nuthouse.

Oh, and if ya want some recipes, just ask. No need to start a hunting thread... still much more fun though...

11. Quercusuber

Quercusuber New Member

Couldn't have said it better!
    Cheers ...Q

12. Haze

Haze New Member

I'm not bitter. I don't even hunt with slingshots. I deliver lead poisoning with a .223 or .243. I'm just calling what I see. If you have a look at the number of members compared to the very small number who attack hunters, it's a self righteous minority who (when you read their material) are really just enjoying having a moral reason to disrupt peoples threads. For them, it's not about the hunting, it's about being able to pretend, and using that pretense as a reason to interfere. If you want so evidence, have a look at Be & BV's posts in the "shall we have a hunting thread" section. It's right there.

13. Greent

Greent Gardner

You quoted his post but it seems as though you didn't read it. He's totally correct and the MAJORITY of people here would agree.

14. Haze

Haze New Member

No - I read it......

15. Mambarino

Mambarino Plink!

If I may offer an opinion, as someone who hunted during his younger years while growing up in Africa, there seems to be little wrong with hunting certain animals if the meat will be used for eating. I especially include animals that are not endangered, such a wild pig (here in Australia they are feral animals and a pest) or rabbits.

However, using animals as target practice, or shooting them for fun (with gun, slingshot, bow and arrow or whatever), is reprehensible (i.e. bad).

I think all reasonable people can agree to these principles, so no need for disagreements.

16. Haze

Haze New Member

In my younger days, I did used to blaze away to drop anything just for fun. I found that the older I got, the more inclined I was to shoot for the freezer. I think it has something to do with a growing sense of personal mortality which makes one think more of the mortality of the creatures hunted as well.

17. Haze

Haze New Member

I'm in WA Mambarino - where are you?

18. Haze

Haze New Member

I'm guessing QLD......

19. vestlenning

vestlenning Sling it!

Welcome to the forum.

Hunting treads: -1.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  20. TheDaddy187

TheDaddy187 Administrator

speak of hunting and generally things will be ok... post pictures and theres the problem...

as for a minority, compared to members then yes its a minority... but not when active members are considered...

most regular active members agree, or at least dont want to see kill pictures...

id say it also helps keep the kids of the forum away from killing just for killing...

as for banning, myself and a few others are considered moderators here, but we are only allowed to ban spammers (baba threads)

the only person here who can ban a regular user is the boss himself...

and seeing as he has only 1 rule (be polite)
    its extrememly hard to get banned...

the people i have seen banned so far deserved it (some of which i would have benned sooner had i had a say)

you will recieve a warning or 2 long before getting banned...

this is why i love this forum... no stupid rules and regulations to follow... its pretty much self moderated...

i have seen many "arguments" like the one you mentioned but here they always end maturely...

rarely do i ever see something get out of hand...

welcome to paradise