Recycled Oakwood Slingshot Crossbow

Discussion in 'Slingshot Crossbows' started by StKaaz, Mar 27, 2017.

1. StKaaz

StKaaz Member

Made this slingshot crossbow out of an old oakwood tableleg and some leftovers from other projects. Used 12 theraband red tubes, 22 cm each and about 16-18 cm left after making knots with hemp cord.

The trigger is a simple two way system. With a hole notched out in the middle of the stringholder to put the bolt on the string and not just a bit in front of it. Transfers more kinetic energy and increases accuracy. Trigger gets pulled by a piece of theraband tube.

Made a simple boltholder out of a leftover piece of grey pvc tube, excellent stuff to use for that and easily moldable with a heatgun and pressure!

A couple of crude holes in the front of the handle to put my fingers in so i do not hurt my fingers which happened during testing. ;)

The tubes do not touch eachother when stretching so there is less chance of tearing and all the energy can release into the shot instead of being transfered to other tubes that get touched by other tubes.

Takes two hands to pull the cord and the oakwood front makes for an excellent footsupport while pulling.

Attached Files:

2. Belargo

Belargo Mad Scientist

Looks cool! Are you satisfied with the power?

3. StKaaz

StKaaz Member

Yes it has a good amount of power. But the strange thing is that it shoots an aluminium Arrow with a bolt screwed in the tip (85 grams) at around 30 meters.

While a glassfiber bolt with 27 grams of weight only goes about 10 meters.

I'll have to experiment some more to give an exact answer to this with heavier arrows and bolts to get to the perfect Arrow/bolt weight balance with the kinetic energy transfer from the shot.

Overall i would say i am satisfied. Started with 6 tubes and that was not satisfying ;)

4. Belargo

Belargo Mad Scientist

Might be a coincidence, but the ratio of arrow weights is also almost exactly 3 to 1, analogous to the ranges you saw.
    Maybe you can go to even higher weight, till you max out the available momentum.