Rambone with contoured plywood scales + Tutorial

Discussion in 'Conventional slingshots' started by JonS, Jun 2, 2016.

1. JonS

JonS New Member

My most recent slingshot is this Rambone. It is the second in order. My first one was also my first slingshot, meaning that it looked rubbish and felt rubbish (and shot awful too).

This one is much more appealing, and also a great shooter. The core is 16mm oak sandwiched between handle scales made of pine plywood and red sandalwood. The way I made the plywood scales created quite an interesting pattern which I really like. Here are pictures and a tutorial video for those interested. Hope you like it! :)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUFtJ6zyoF4[/ame]

Attached Files:

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Awesome work! :D

3. Juggalo

Juggalo My slingshots are like me. They aren't pretty.

Very cool. The herring bone pattern looks awesome.

4. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

That is really beautiful. Nice work! :cool:

5. Jeb

Jeb Baba Hunter

Great colours on that. The ply scales turned out really well. Excellent work.

Oh, and fantastic tutorial, too. Great production value!

6. RickOchet

RickOchet New Member

Sweet as a nut! Very nice looking shooter!

7. kiozen

kiozen Member

8. Knallfrosch

Knallfrosch Senior Member

Great work and great effort for seppwood. Turned out very beautiful.:)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  9. PimpW

PimpW New Member

Thats 1 good looking rambone ! Thats alot of work and a very Nice tutoriel . Congrats !

10. Drew_Bilbrey

Drew_Bilbrey Drew Bilbrey

Saw this a few nights ago. Excellent work!

11. Flipgun

Flipgun Active Member

Well thought out with a fine execution. A Very Nice Piece! Well Done.

12. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Very beautiful slingshot! Expertly done. Great English too!

A few remarks (just details really).

1. I recommend using a brush to apply the oil. First, it saves on the oil as the rags soak up lots of it. Second, linseed oil on rags are a fire hazard as they can burst into flames over night. Believe me, I have seen it. You must dispose of linseed oil soaked rags in the most careful manner.

2. I see you did not wet down the frame before the final sanding. If you skip this crucial part, then your finish won't last very long as the flattened fibers WILL eventually raise and the gloss fades away. Just use a wet rag and apply moisture to the sanded frame - you will notice it looks furry afterwards. Re-sand and re-polish a few times (it gets easier every round) until the wetting makes no more difference. Then you may apply the wax.

13. JonS

JonS New Member

Thanks a lot!

1. I do indeed ude a rag instead of a brush. I tried using a brush once, but for it to be effective you would have to place it in "white spirit" afterwards. Not that it is expensive anyway, but I haven't bothered going to the store just for that reason.

2. I remember you saying this a while ago, but I seem to have forgotten it. While making this slingshot I was thinking about what you said, but forgot it in the final step. Instead I remembered something about sanding at the final sanding grit, oil and then repeat. Wasn't what you meant though.
    But thanks for the advice! I will try to remember it the next time I make a slingshot.

14. JonS

JonS New Member

Thank you! I am constantly working on raising the production value of my video's, both slingshot- and video-wise. :)

15. JonS

JonS New Member

Thanks! Nice to hear that I have a few subscribers here on the forum! :)

16. JonS

JonS New Member

I want to say thanks too everybody else too! I've only seen a few people here on the forum do it, but how do you quote multiple posts?

17. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I click on "Quote", then I copy the text and go back without posting. Then I paste the text into the "joint" post.

18. Jeb

Jeb Baba Hunter

You asked this in another thread recently and I answered it with screen shots and everything. I'll try to dig it up for you again later, Jon, when I get a free minute.

19. Jeb

Jeb Baba Hunter