"natural" ammunition?

Discussion in 'Various other stuff' started by ErstMalEinBaum, Nov 22, 2013.

1. ErstMalEinBaum

ErstMalEinBaum Demon Hunter

Hi guys,

I like steel balls of course but I also like the idea of finding ammunition outside.
    So my Question is: Have you ever used natural ammunition and if so which (and to what success?)?
    It is quite obvious to use little stones from a riverbed or such but I have also thought of using clay to form ammunition from, although these would likely break?

2. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

i hate stones for shooting cause they go all over the place and dont fly true
    so i bring some ammo with me for accuracy

making some out of clay would work specially when you bake them by a fire i ques
    for target practice i like acorns a lot

3. ErstMalEinBaum

oh yes they must be great, didn't even think about that!

4. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Best of all is ammo you make yourself. Doesn't take a huge investment to get into lead casting. Once you have the tools you can make your own ammo for life!

And lead hits the hardest of them all.

5. ErstMalEinBaum

isn't that toxic?
    but I like the idea, a simple mold (is that the right word) shouldn't be hard to build.

6. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Pissed off kitties would work great, they stick like velcro to most surfaces and the claws give a nice damage boost:rolleyes:.

7. ErstMalEinBaum

Oh good idea, I have two of those running around our house and annoying everyone.
    Good thought, I thought they would get to know my slingshot another way :D

8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Personally, I think goats are a very good ammo source. There is nothing quite so demoralizing and offensive as launching a rank, mean, nasty old billy goat at your enemies :D

9. ErstMalEinBaum

Chopped off heads of their own comrades would be nothing compared to goats! :D

10. frankbs

frankbs New Member

toxic, yes, but the zombies should be dead by then... :)

11. ErstMalEinBaum

I was referring to me suffering from lead-poisoning :)

12. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

The risk of lead toxicity should be negligible, provided you wash your hands prior to eating or touching your mouth

13. ErstMalEinBaum

allright I might give it a look then and see if I can set up an ammunition fatory :) Flaming lead balls of fury anyone?

14. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I currently use steel balls and marbles for my ammo. I may need to look into making my own lead ammo as well. Now that I have two flat-band shooter I want to start making my own bands (eventually).

15. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Lead ammo is illegal in some jurisdictions, well, for firearms anyway. Not sure how it would be for slingshots.

Nature makes some great ammo, literally there for the picking. Berries for target shooting, nuts for when you need a harder hit. Conkers, acorns, haws, rosehips etc

16. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

You do want to melt your lead in a well ventilated area. If your using kitchen stove plan for a time of year when you can open windows and setup a fan to vent the area. Outside works fine, don't hover over the pot sucking in those fumes and as noted, wash up afterwards.

I've been casting my own for 40 years and I'm not strange, much!
    Well ok I'm strange enough, but I don't think it is from casting lead, ok? :)

There are several options for molds, cast aluminum work well "if" they are designed well.

But the cost of a mold over here is around 20-30$, by the time you crank 2-300 rounds through it I'd consider it paid for. Considering that you can probably run thousands and thousands of rounds through that mold its a great investment.

Unless you want to get into something "Really" toxic like depleted uranium, lead is as good as it gets. It just needs a certain amount of equipment and common sense. Remember, that stuff melts at 500 f or above, so it is TWICE as hot as boiling water and it will "CLING".

Make sure everything is dry, as drops of water cause steam explosions in the pot, throwing lead droplets around everywhere.

Bare minimum I'd say is a good cast iron pan/pot to melt your lead, a mold, a lead ladle, a good pair of gloves, and an old serving spoon for clearing the gunk off the top. Electric pots are well worth the investment, as they are cleaner, safer.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  17. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

I usually shoot dried peas, they work great and are fun to shoot your friends with.

18. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I used to have a thorn bush in my yard when I was a kid. The pyracantha bush has firm orange colored berries that aren't edible by humans, and they fit perfectly into an aluminum tube I had made into a makeshift blowgun. I also found them to be decent slingshot ammo although lightweight.

Be forewarned though, those thorns are pretty sharp and the puncture wound will ALWAYS become infected.

Small round stones work well if you can find a supply.

Although not natural, pig iron marbles (Ternium Pellets) are a byproduct of smelting iron from ore. We had a pile on a nearby railroad track when i was a kid. they are light, and will disintegrate upon impact with a hard surface like frangible pistol ammo.
    http://www.ternium.com/en/products-pellets/

19. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I used to have a thorn bush in my yard when I was a kid. The pyracantha bush has firm orange colored berries that aren't edible by humans, and they fit perfectly into an aluminum tube I had made into a makeshift blowgun. I also found them to be decent slingshot ammo although lightweight.

Be forewarned though, those thorns are pretty sharp and the puncture wound will ALWAYS become infected.

Small round stones work well if you can find a supply.

Although not natural, pig iron marbles (Ternium Pellets) are a byproduct of smelting iron from ore. We had a pile on a nearby railroad track when i was a kid. they are light, and will disintegrate upon impact with a hard surface like frangible pistol ammo.
    http://www.ternium.com/en/products-pellets/

20. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Nico on the rebel slingshot forum has high praise for clay ammo. He just air dries his, IIRC. A little deformation would transfer more force anyway, kinda like HESH tank shells, right?