Material for 3D printed Slingshot??

Discussion in 'Conventional slingshots' started by TheBACA, Nov 22, 2015.

1. TheBACA

TheBACA Primitive Weapons Enthusiast

What material would be considered a (strong and safe) material for 3D printing a Slingshot?

I searched for this answer but could not find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

2. JonS

JonS New Member

I am not an experienced 3D print user. Actually I've never owned or used one, but from what I can find around the net, ABS is the plastic you're looking for:

"ABS is used in a very large variety of applications in the industry nowadays. Examples include, among many others, the manufacturing of pipes (like drain, waste or vent pipes), automotive components, electronic assemblies, protective headgear (ABS has good shock absorbing properties), kitchen appliances, music instruments, protective carrying cases and toys, among which the most notable are the famous Lego bricks.

ABS is generally very durable and strong, slightly flexible and quite resistant to heat. Printers able to process ABS plastics normally operate with a hot end (the heated part melting the plastic, before it’s forced through the print nozzle) at a temperature around 210-250°C. Therefore, a 3D printer able to process ABS is necessarily equipped with a heated printbed (the surface that the 3D prints are built on), in order to prevent warping or cracking of the printed materials."

Link:
    http://3dprintingforbeginners.com/filamentprimer/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015

3. TheBACA

Thanks for the info.
    I was assuming ABS might be the plastic but was a little skeptical of its strength in regards to holding up as a slingshot.
    Thanks bud

4. Bone

Bone Slingshot Shooters

I have used PLA and ABS. One of my rookie friends killed my PLA Rambone. He shot it about 6 or 7 tines and blew the fork off. Actually took more then I thought it would. I now use ABS it's not such a brittle material and very strong and if you want more Nylon is a good choice.

5. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

that was my first (noobish) guess..

6. TheBACA

Thanks for the great info Bones!!
    Cool so ABS seems to be the way to go then.

7. Bone

Bone Slingshot Shooters

That was a good first choice Be....

You are welcome TheBACA.

8. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

9. esimondo

esimondo Member

Mark is correct Nylon or if you don't mind the expense you can have Ploy Carb 3d printed

BUT what is most important if you are printing is the actual fill % . Most printers will supply only 50% fill
    you need to specify 100% fill

See pics of A 50% fill ABS Slingshot I had printed a few months ago you can clearly see the effects of 50% fill

Hope this helps

Attached Files: