Looking for a basic starship pattern..kinda..

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by DM099, Feb 19, 2014.

1. DM099

DM099 New Member

I've been looking all over to find a blueprint or a template for a startship. I think the first one I try should be one that is tried and true in design and concept. Maybe I've missed it, but I've seen more and more out-freaking-standing pics, and would like to start on one in the near future, but I know very little about them.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Towards a set of plans, something to tell me what type angle should be used for the connection of the sling to the frame....from looking at some of Ruthie's, I'm not even sure setting an angle is necessary. Information, plans, something?

Appreciate it.

Mac

2. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Starship blueprints are hard to find because they don't fit on standard paper, I recommend just making your own template. It's easy enough, just fold a paper in half draw your fork, cut that out transfer it to wood then make your handle and wrist brace. Look at other people's completed starships would probably be your best option. Copy it as best you can or modify it to fit what you want, and if it doesn't turn out how you want then scrap it and try again

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I've been considering building one of these (eventually...) as well. I figured I would begin the basic shape by tracing the contour of my wrist and forearm on paper and proceeding from there. The starship design appears very free-form, open and personal to each builder, to my eyes anyway. This might be one of those situations where continued tinkering with a design may yield the results you are looking for. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    Although, I believe Flipgun had a template for a killer shooter he built recently. If he doesn't weigh-in on this thread, you might send him a message. He is a great builder and a great guy as well

4. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 New Member

Personally it's the making that I enjoy, design your own and if it works good great, it may very well turn out to be firewood but it was fun to make none the less. I didn't even know what a starship was 2 days ago lol so yeah now I'm making one out of plywood in my shop. Will it work? I don't know or really care cause it's fun to do. If my first attempt looks good and shoots like crap no worry as is learning experience. If it looks like crap and shoots great same thing. If it looks great and shoots great it's going in my collection and not as kindling for a fire. It's all in the fun of the build to me.

5. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/28960-walking-my-sand-snake/ Start by watching a few video's like this. Let it ferment in your brain for a month or 3, and then just start experimenting. Ruthie has some very unique carved ones with good pictures. ps forum is being funky today, first I couldn't get here at all, now it doesn't want to let me insert links or pictures.

6. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 New Member

At least I'm not only one having problems today. Thought my phone had gone wonky but guess it is just the forum

7. DM099

DM099 New Member

Well, I'm gonna take some of the advice offered.

Mulling it over, looking at a lot of pics, figuring in my head what I want it to look like, feel like, etc.

8. Ghosth

DM there are several advantages to think about.

A Draw length extension = more power. Pushing those forks farther out from your hand means you can seriously add some draw length, and get more power out of the same rubber.

B Brace Again a natural for more power. Which also adds stability and accuracy.

C Starships are a perfect fit for a sling bow, and easy to modify into either a convertible or a full time sling bow. Those forks farther out means your arrow rest can also be farther out, and you have a lot more mounting options.

The slingbow bug hasn't bitten me, yet. I've just finished my second star ship, and so far it is the most accurate shooter off all of my slingshots. Yes, even the slingshot rifles.

Not sure why, but I'm going with the flow. I'm in the process of making a third star ship, PVC again, planning on longer fork arms this time. And I added a couple of fancy curves to my brace arm.

Thinking about making the fork arms able to "flex" to add power, like a bow limb.
    Still working out how to make it safe (don't want a fork arm breaking off and skewering an eye)

9. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Can't help you with blueprints or templates I'm afraid. I'm a disorganised slob and just make stuff up as I go along.
    Wingshooter's design seems very good and I was pleased with the 24" extension one that I made with that canted fork design. On the other hand, as an intuitive shooter, I do like the high wide forks of the other two which give me a very clear picture of what I am aiming at.

Attached Files:

10. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 New Member

Ruthie I just hope my first starship turns out as nice as your supposed slobbish throw togethers lol. You truly are an artist when it comes to your designs. I've considered using a tonfa style police batton as the setup that way should I ever run out of ball bearings I still have a formidable weapon on hand lol

11. Ghosth

I agree Cwren, looking at Ruthies work makes me feel like they should be hanging on the mast of a Pirate ship or something. "Bloody Albatross- Plonk, Captain he did it again!"

12. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Go with Joerg's Monster. It's easy, it can be scaled up to whatever extension you desire/can handle, and it will let you know if you like starships enough to make a fancy one.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAwTfAMHCG0[/ame]

The design is easily modified, too.

13. DM099

DM099 New Member

Ruthie,
    Since it doesn't appear that you repeat a design, only repeat a good idea, you be as disorganized as your heart desires....it appears the more disorganized you are the better you are. My wife is kinda the same way with her zentangle art work, looks disorganized until you see her final product, then you're amazed.

Ghosth, I saw that you like PVC, here's a few pics to wet your appetite for some pvc work.

The white one is my 40lb take down bow, the other bow pic is half of the bows that I made and gave out to family members at Christmas, they were a tremendous hit, and the third one is what we call a "split vamo". I vape and no longer smoke, the vamo is a device that was the size of a magic wand, so I split it in half, installed it in a pvc case I made.

I was already thinking of a pvc Starship, and then again, I do woodworking for fun, so there will have to be some of that done also, hah!

Mac

Attached Files:

14. Ghosth

Nice Stuff!

DM like you I no longer smoke. 12 years of cig's followed by 28 years of pipe smoking. Switched to vape a year ago last September. I went with the Ego Tank style by Joye to start with, but switched over to a tank style clearomizer with replaceable coils probably a year ago.

Mine is 6" long and I wear it in a homemade leather holster around my neck. "My Ego needs filling" is often heard around our house followed by my wife's "Your ego is too big to fit through the door already".

DM your starship might need to be a "Fusion" of wood and PVC.

15. DM099

DM099 New Member

LOL, a fellow Vaper, cool beans. I switched to vaping Sept 19, 2012. Haven't had a smoke since. Sitting here vaping a banana, strawberry, blueberry juice as we speak, but my favorite is my DIY'ed raspberry juice. Sitting here looking at my split Vamo, MVP2, Reo with the new IGO on it, Zmax, and lord only knows how many diy'ed mods I have.

I've been experimenting with leather recently, so I figure once I understand a bit more about SS, I have wood, pvc, leather, and some metals to experiment with, lol. Between the bows, the SSs, the wirewrapping, the woodworking and learning leather, who's got time to get in trouble?

16. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I once build a vaporizer myself from scratch....not for liquids though more for solid plant material. It worked (and would work) very well.

17. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 New Member

Very nice bows. I especially like the horsebow design u showed first. Like ghost I'm also a PVC enthusiast however I don't use it as much as wood for slingys due to fact cut wood smells so much nicer than cut PVC lol

18. Ghosth

DM I also make my own juice, mostly use a butter rum/cherry blend. Sept 1 of 2012 was my last smoke, have really never looked back.

Thought about quitting the vape from time to time, but my wife encourages me to stick with it.
    I know I am so much healthier, sinus cleared about the 2-3 week mark. Lungs are getting stronger every month, and I'm healthier than I've been in decades.

And the vape does give me calm, mellow out now and then. Course a shot of my Grandpa's old buddies Jim Beam and Jack Daniels also helps. It is a rare week though that I have more than 1 drink.

19. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Oh I SEE! Y'all are vaping TOBACCO !! I was just thinking what a happy band of stoners :) Is that like 'E-cigarettes¬° ?

I did try vaping a couple of times, firstly with a big mains-powered table one and then with a little portable but very soon I'd be 'forgetful' until it overheated and the grass was smouldering nicely. I'm afraid that where dope is concerned I'm incorrigible. So, finally, after more decades than I am prepared to admit to, I've given it up. Totally. Not even eating it. :(

I have to admit though that I have tons more energy and my memory is improving. It feels a bit uncomfortably goody-goody in a town where EVERYONE (well, of us ex-pats) smokes dope but I suppose the time had come and it makes sense. Stronger stuff went over the preceding couple of years. I couldn't trust the quality of synthetic chemicals here...too many home labs run by off-their-face hippies. And the Columbian marching powder was so adulterated that it wasn't worth buying any more.

So...it's just red wine and the odd brandy now. And, instead of dancing all night, it's usually home not so long after midnight. Ah well, I spect I'm becoming middle-aged !

20. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

gorgeous bows ! I especially like the white one!