Lionsteel M5

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by kiozen, Nov 23, 2016.

1. kiozen

kiozen Member

Hi,

at the age of 14 my father gave me a knife with a very nice blade. That knife served me well since all the years of travel and outdoor activity. More than 30 years and still several to come.

Now it is my time to do the same. But I am a total noob if it comes to knives other than kitchen knifes. Of course my son has a thousand ideas what knife he likes. One of them is the Lionsteel M5.

As everyone in this forum seems to be more expert in knifes than me: Good choice? The idea is to have something lasting, that can be used without regret. Other suggestions are also very welcome.

Just for the fun: This is my old worn knife

Attached Files:

2. Finally... This is one of those few topics in which can actually give somewhat useful advice.

I have no personal experience with "Lionsteel", but it looks like a solid knife. Full tang, g10 handle

Though it really depends on what he intends to do with the knife. (Hunting, carving, chopping ect) If I were to know the intended purpose of the knife, I could likely suggest a couple of quality knives.

3. kiozen

kiozen Member

I know that feeling :D

Well, the use is multipurpose: From slicing bread, to chopping branches, cutting ropes, carving wood to build a shelter. More or less all the stuff you do on outdoor activities. It won't be necessary to single handed kill a boar with it. But to cut open a fish is definitely in the scope, too.

4. Ok, that helps. If you want a relatively large all purpose knife, I would suggest something from "Esee" or "Becker". Both brands offer near indestructible knives, purposely built for exactly what you want.

The Becker Knife 2 is known for its reliability and strength, though it's a bit heavy to wear on a belt while hiking.

You can't go wrong with any of the "Esee" Knives, but the 4 seems perfect for basic outdoor chores. And it comes with the legendary Esee warranty. ( they replace it no matter how it broke, even if it was completely the users fault)

They are relatively expensive, $80-200 depending on the model, but no more so that the "Lion steel" that you mention. If price is a concern, consider buying a "Mora Companion". They are good quality yet VERY cheap.

I personally don't like to carry a huge blade every time I go hiking. I prefer to carry a smaller fixed blade (Southern Grind Jackal pup) and a locking folder (Benchmade Mini Griptillian 557).
    ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1480017660.834315.jpg

5. kiozen

kiozen Member

Thanks for the recommendations. I will do my homework searching for reviews between those 3 brands.

6. Greent

Greent Gardner

Here's a few inexpensive, classic, quality knives to look into.

ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1480272369.049360.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1480272379.739105.jpg

7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

I can definately agree on mora and opinel, love both of mine. The opinel for light duty, the mora for heavy duty stuff is a great combo.

I've enjoyed a brusletto norgeskniven for a few years now, it is a little more expensive than mora but also more luxurious (nice wooden handle and leather sheath). The edge has chipped on me once, but that was because I cut into a deer leg bone...

I think a mora would be the go to knife, can't beat the quality at that price. I would not pick the basic model, but rather a companion or pro.

8. Yeah Opinel is great for the money. So is Victorinox.

Though I still prefer upper end, heavy use folders. It's just impossible for me not to like the feeling of a hand ground American knife in my hand. I'm sure several of you guys will agree with me on this one.

Dammit, that custom knife show last month totally spoiled me!!! They made brands like kershaw and buck look like cheap dollar store knives by comparison.

9. Greent

Greent Gardner

Yeah, that! I got two mora pros recently for Christmas presents. They're nice!

10. kiozen

kiozen Member

There are enough Opinels in our household :D

I always wonder what is the real difference between a 10.-€ and 150.-€ knife. Is it the name, the nicer handle or really the blade? Ok, for Esee you probably pay the lifetime support. But that can't be the price and other knifes without have the same price.

11. Acorn_Man

Acorn_Man Member

Dude, come join the Spyderco master race. They're pricy though. I'm really not too knowledgeable — I'm just partial because they're out of Golden here. Looks like there are some good suggestions here — I'd just listen to them. Good luck!

12. Maybe for edc, but not anything heavy use.

I've always seen them as thin and relatively uncomfortable during real use. Get a Benchmade!

13. Greent

Greent Gardner

lol

14. Acorn_Man

Acorn_Man Member

They've got some pretty solid fixed blade drop points. Not really their specialty, but they've got them. I see what you mean, though.

15. I haven't handled any of their fixed blades, though I know Spyderco makes quality products. But for that price I don't see any reason not to buy from a dedicated outdoor brand.(Esee, Becker,..........)

16. DaveyJones

DaveyJones Girls can't be ghostbusters :P

look into the spyderco tenacious line.
    those are around $40 if i remember right.

17. Acorn_Man

Acorn_Man Member

Yeah, they do have some affordable stuff. They've also got their offshoot Chinese brand — Byrd. It's pretty much the same exact product but they are made in China, are cheaper, and have a differently shaped thumb hole. I don't see that they have any fixed blades, but I didn't search too hard.

18. Totally unrelated to affordable, but have any of you guys gotten the opportunity to handled or buy anything from spartan knives?

Absolutely amazing. I have yet to own any (too expensive) but I got to handle a few and meet the owner. Absolutely love the Harsey folder! S35v, stone wash finish, ........

Check it out at a show if you can.