Hello from Austria

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by TheoBromin, Aug 11, 2017.

1. TheoBromin

TheoBromin New Member

Hi guys,

I'm living near Linz in Upper Austria an have two kids. My older son is five years old and a few weeks ago we carved - I'm more the knife nerd - his first slingshot made of hazelnut.
    After a few shots I remembered my several slingshots I had as teenager. So I cut myself some nice branches during some trekking trips (birch, oak, Ash, beech, spalted beech).

By now I have done 5 nattys. I'm gonna show them later on. Most of them will go to junior. One is nice for myself and the latest one (I call it "Grampas Slingshot") is for my brother in law. I will ask you some questions to this one in the according thread.

That's it for now

2. NamenloserHeld91

NamenloserHeld91 Senior Member

Willkommen im Forum :)
    If you want to improve your shooting post a clip of your shooting :)

3. Belargo

Belargo Mad Scientist

Welcome!

Great to hear that you introduce your kids to the hobby :)
    Hope you like it here, there are lots of knowledgeable people around to answer your questions.

4. Nothing wrong with appreciating a good blade!
    (Unless it's a Gerber)

welcome to the forum

5. TheoBromin

TheoBromin New Member

Sure, first I fixed him with knives, next thing will be slingshots :D. He owns a opinel with rounded tip since he was four. Rounded because he uses it also for preparing his snacks (cutting bread, spreading butter etc).
    But he will get his second in 1-2 months: A Victorinox Huntsman :cool:

Got plenty of stuff here but not a single gerber :cool:

6. That's the smart way to go about it. In my opinion Victorinox are absolutely perfect knives to start off and learn from. Least that's I learned how the value of carrying a good knife and caught the knife disease. My father bought me a victorinox Swiss champ when I was really young and I had it long as I can remember. Sure it got banged up along the way, scratched, was subject to less that proper use, and on more that one occasion it decided to fight back against my improper use and closed directly on my hand resulting in blood. (Which could explain why I vastly prefer locking or fixed blade knives.)

But the huntsman will certainly do well as a beginner knife for him to learn. I actually carry the huntsman model on my keys for those tasks when I need a screwdriver, or need to cut something around non knife people. They don't really appreciate a well flicked Benchmade.

7. Knallfrosch

Knallfrosch Senior Member

Welcome to the show.:)

8. NamenloserHeld91

The swiss champ is awesome but so heavy.

9. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Welcome! I coincidentally also carry a huntsman ;) great little knife!

10. Which is exactly why the champ lives in my range bag.

11. NamenloserHeld91

I try to build a bow only with my Swiss champ :D Hurts so much but it cuts soooo good!

12. TheoBromin

TheoBromin New Member

So here they are. My first few ones.
    The upper ones are from/for junior, the lower ones are mine and the one with TBG is my favorite by now :)

From left to right, top to bottom:
    Ash, birk, beech, birk

Attached Files:

13. NamenloserHeld91

Now you got everything you need! Other Slingshot forms dont shoot better.

14. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

The Huntsman

Great knife.
    Not macho but who needs macho to cut stuff?

Love your frames.

The owl was carved with a Huntsman after harvesting with a victorinox rucksack

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  15. I don't mean to hijack the thread but that owl looks great. What type of wood is that?

16. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

It's a lump of pine I think. Soft while fresh for removing material and easier to do fine details as it dried out.

Back to Austria.

17. Juggalo

Juggalo My slingshots are like me. They aren't pretty.

Welcome from the UK. Nice nattys Sharing slingshots with the kids is the best.