German Knife

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by Chris_Egan, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Chris_Egan

Chris_Egan New Member

This is an old knife handed down to,me from my dad, It's Solengen made so i want to get it hair splitting sharp but the handle is a little loose and could use some work to keep tight, I could use some advice to turn this thing from good looking family heirloom into a slingshot carving tool.[​IMG]

2. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

This is a typical hunting knife. The handle consists of real antler horn and leather rings. It is common that the leather dries out and shrinks over the years. You can usually fix this by taking the handle apart (unscrew the knob) and adding one or two new leather rings. You can cut those yourself. Keep them large and cut off the excess after reassembly.

The blade can of course be sanded and polished to perfection, but maybe you should simply clean and oil it. Some patina on an old piece is part of the fascination. They do the same on vintage cars these days. This does not mean you can't sharpen the blade. It is made from carbon steel (so it does rust if you don't take proper care), so it will take on a really sharp edge. Plenty of cool videos about knife sharpening on the internet.

Good luck!

3. Chris_Egan

Chris_Egan New Member

Yeah I have no plans on making the blade shine, id rather leave the natural black iron oxide that time has given to me as a protective gift, it is the same stuff that is called "gun blue"!

4. Chris_Egan

Chris_Egan New Member

Also i found the blade canbe tightened, I'm thinking about clear epoxy internally to keep everything in place after all the leather gets a good soaking in leather conditioning.

5. Nice. Might be hard to carve small details with a large knife, but this will make a great tool.

6. seppman

seppman Folding-Ladder Expert

Little tip: If you don't want to spend a lot of money on japanese water whetstones or some other fancy sharpening systems, check out one of those oneway lady's nailpolish sanding pads. There are some with 4 different grits in one (200, 600, 1200, 3000 and many other combinations or sets) and cost about a dollar. Perfect to give a knife a quick razorsharp edge.

7. Bottom of a ceramic coffee mug works too

8. Chris_Egan

Chris_Egan New Member

i believe a set of Arkansas stones is in my future, not cheap but will last a lifetime.