Full auto sling-x-bow: New approach

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by JoergS, Jan 5, 2017.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClQqUdLRqA0[/ame]

2. Knallfrosch

Knallfrosch Senior Member

Sounds like a 4-stroke engine :D.
    Great concept. I love it.
    For a firing rate like that you will need a decent magazine or the fun is over too fast.:)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017

3. Juggalo

Juggalo My slingshots are like me. They aren't pretty.

4. Cool idea! Would be interesting to see a larger version of it with for those 10inch nails.

It looked so cold standing out there in the snow with only a t shirt.

Around here, folks go nuts when its raining OR under 50 Fahrenheit. Not much snow here in coastal commiefornia.... I'm mean California.

5. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Well, I'll stick to the 1st gear and increase the rubber. The 32 rd mag will then allow sustained fire for 7 seconds, quite long for a full auto weapon. The Makita is ridiculously powerful in 1st gear and I can shoot the bolts with good force.

6. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Got the plywood and made the first sketch. As always no blueprints, directly to the wood. Lots of saw work ahead.

Attached Files:

7. allu

allu Junior Member

Any chance you took inspiration from electric airsoft guns, Joerg? Since you basically came up with the same mechanism! Granted airsoft guns have more gears to reduce the torque required from the motor, but in the end the same partially toothed sprocket is found from both designs. You basically replaced the piston and spring with a "sled" and rubber, nice work! :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49aaq8a3qLk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49aaq8a3qLk[/ame]

8. JonS

JonS New Member

Wouldn't it be possible to make a drum magasine and that way store more ammo in a smaller package?

9. It would be difficult, but possible. It seems like it would require very exact tolerances.

10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I actually took my inspiration from a medley video regarding gear systems. Didn't know about the airsoft gearboxes working the same way, but indeed the principle is similar.

Drum magazines might work and I might give it a shot some day soon. But it won't be easy, lots of problems to be solved.

Made the frame today, as usual from five layers of plywood. Inner core 8mm, then two side plates (6mm each), then the outer plates (4mm). Tomorrow, the rack and pinion parts. I plan to use an aluminum core (8mm) and two side parts made from Multiplex.

11. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

12. NW_frameman

NW_frameman Member

Can't wait to see this one! I'm counting down the minutes lol

13. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Brought out the video, it is going viral. More than 700 k views since yesterday.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbKGjRoSofA[/ame]

Also, I increased the draw weight by 25% - that is pretty much the limit. The Makita still has reserves, but the wooden frame starts to bend and the gears jam when I go even higher. But it is plenty powerful now. Same draw as the original Cobra crossbow. Also I oiled the wood for better looks and protection against moisture.

Attached Files:

14. Juggalo

Juggalo My slingshots are like me. They aren't pretty.

Awesome simply awesome

15. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Hilarious. This one will go viral.

16. Knallfrosch

Knallfrosch Senior Member

Absolutely awesome. Damit i have to build one of these... Phenomenal!

And a quick response to your first answer on adding a second set of teeth for a second shot in one cycle.
    I thought about that as well and it would work if you have a second mechanism side by side to the first one.
    It could be on top of the first "barrel"
    So a fork with two bandsets and two sleds and a slightly bigger wheel on the second mechanism... just like the gears on a bike.
    The only issue with that maybe the ammo feeding...

However... absolutely brilliant work.:D

17. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Seems like people really can't live with the fact that half the cycle is wasted... in fact

a) a second cocking process would put enormous strain on the drill

b) a second bandset, magazin and barrel would make the weapon super bulky - even if I would be able to solve the severe space issues.

But I am currently making a magazine for the weapon. Makes much more sense.

18. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Magazine is done... was hard, as per usual on retro fitting jobs. Will make a second mag tomorrow.

Attached Files: