First natty

Discussion in 'Conventional slingshots' started by Toney_j, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Toney_j

Toney_j New Member

Hi everyone first post on here an my first natty slingshot. Just an old branch I found and dried out. If anyone has any tips to make my next one better please tell me? Very happy for a first attempt though shoots well.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. NamenloserHeld91

NamenloserHeld91 Senior Member

That is evrything you need to shoot very precise.
    I woud make the forks a littel shorter so you got more control.
    Ammo magazine is always a nice touch.
    Guide rollers for tubes so you can extend your draw lenght.

3. Toney_j

Toney_j New Member

Thanks good ideas there just on the hunt for some more nice forks to make some more:)

4. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Good job! What do you mean by better? A little shorter forks is all I would advise. It makes the slingshot more stable because of the reduced leverage on your wrist. Magazines are fiddly and will usually only fit one ammo size which I think is annoying, you're better off making a nice ammo pouch for the belt. Rollers? A lot of hassle for a marginal gain. They will suffer from friction and probably decrease your accuracy. If you want more draw length I would try a starship type, or even better: try butterfly shooting. However, as this is your first slingshot, just play around with shooting and have fun! Get some different targets maybe, filled gas lighters explode nicely in a puff of smoke, cans make a satisfying sound, etc etc.

5. Toney_j

Toney_j New Member

Thanks for the tip just been working on the below still keeping it simple, put in some groves for two fingers and a thumb. However not sure if I should make the gap between the forks a little larger to avoid hitting them whilst shooting. I'm still new to this so am not the best shot. Thanks for the advice and any more would be much appreciated.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

I would not make the gap larger, but instead look into flipping the slingshot or tweaking the pouch (some people swear by one, some by the other, I like flipping personally but I advise you to look into both and see what you prefer) . I'd link some videos but I'm not able to do so right now. However, a quick search on youtube will probably give you good results.

I see some nice spalting there, what are you planning for the finish?

7. Toney_j

Toney_j New Member

For my first I used teak oil but someone said that olive oil makes them look really good so the below pics are after one coat of olive oil. Will be sanding and re applying really looks good.

[​IMG][​IMG]