Crossbow band lengths?

Discussion in 'Slingshot Crossbows' started by Shain77, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Shain77

Shain77 New Member

What would be the calculation for spacing of the forks (band length) and centre of bow to lock for maximum efficiency? I would like to know how far to space the forks to have the rubber pre tensed with a 70 cm distance from the centre of the bow to the lock.

This hobby is awesome. Since my theraband arrived on Friday, I have made a conventional, a slingrifle, a catchbox, and half a crossbow! This forum is also great, much more friendly than the other one I was looking at. Tons of good information.

Thanks,

2. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Glad you are having fun. I will leave the crossbow bandlength question for the experts.

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

On crossbows, I use stretch factor 4 and no tapering. This way the bands will live long and the hysteresis effect (cooling bands) is less problematic.

You will need plenty of rubber for good performance though. I recommend doubling the results of the calculator.

4. JonS

JonS New Member

With factor 4 I suppose you mean 400% elongation?
    I have made your bullpup slingshot crossbow, and banded it with 6 layers of TBG per side (tapered 3-2cm).
    The draw weight is 80 pounds, but when I shoot it it is weaker than my 15 pound child bow. Why is that?

5. Redloesebob

Redloesebob Slingshot Veteran

Maybe because the bands have cooled off? :confused:

6. JonS

JonS New Member

I have tried to shoot it under ten seconds from drawing out the bands. Still the same result :/

7. Redloesebob

Redloesebob Slingshot Veteran

I think you will get more power with full width untapered bands. :)