Can launcher?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Bushmaster, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

In the "Disaster" thread jasonmusic1's mention of shooting at a thrown can was coincidental to me. Yesterday I was thinking about a foot operated (triggered) can launcher of some kind. Anyone tried that?

2. FilipNilssob

FilipNilssob Lactose is my Kryptonite

just use a plank on a log and stamp on it to use it like a catapult..

3. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

Way too simple, practical and inexpensive for me. I'm thinking something with garden hose, copper tubing, gate valves and BaBa beans.

4. TheNewSlingshotGuy

TheNewSlingshotGuy AKA- "The Raccoon"

I know this video was already shown on this forum, but you mean something like this?:D

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b-qqUAU6FrM[/ame]

5. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Sounds a lot like sleet shooting to me, if you want to build a target launcher I can't think of a better model. Not sure how it would work with a non streamlined object like a can and empty cans could be a problem as well but I think it'd be a good place to start.

6. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

I would make it fun like a potato cannon. Aqua Net is the best hairspray for fuel...its a LONG story.

7. Whittler

Whittler New Member

We don't want the story. What we want is the pic of your hair when you figured out that Aqua Net made for a good propellant.

8. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

I was the cameraman...

9. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

10. walkslo

walkslo New Member

some thing like this I can't remember where I copied this from or who designed it

Attached Files:

11. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I could swear I saw a YouTube video about that but as it seems I can not find it.....

12. Haecksler

Haecksler Naturalist

13. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I remember that thread.....this is the one I was looking for. No wonder it could not be found.

14. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

In my minds eye I envision a can sitting on something about 20 feet away and then popping about 10 feet straight up or in a slight arc. Like a weaker version of putting a firecracker under a tin can.

15. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

This may be too complicated, even for you, but what about some sort of piston? Put the can on top press a button and the piston throws the can up a few feet, put a piece of tubing around the whole thing to guide the can straight out and it might even work. You could probably do it with compressed air but that would take awhile between shots, maybe CO2. You could do it with firecrackers too but it might be hard to light a firecracker back up and load a shot in time to shoot the can.

16. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Use an actuator...instant reset then. Have a can feeder pulled out of an old soda machine to feed it.

17. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

I like the can feeder idea 'cause who wants to stop and walk 20 feet, load, walk back 20 feet and try again. I'm wondering if you could incorporate a mouse or rat trap to throw them up? I'm starting to think a slingshot buddy might be the best answer.

18. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Some kind of long coil spring might be used to pop the can straight up.

Cocking it might be scary though. Keep your face away from the muzzle.

19. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Great project Bushmaster!
    I hope this poor sketch will give you some ideas. Don't know if it will work, the feeding might be tricky.

Attached Files:

20. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

I like your concept Sader. I think a nail gun compressor I already have will serve the purpose nicely. I also have a Honda generator gathering dust that I can power it with. I will use a blow gun activated by stepping on the trigger button that will shoot into a 20 foot tube to the launcher. It's just crazy enough to work!