Bare handed slingshot

Discussion in 'Crazy contraptions' started by Oliver74, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Oliver74

Oliver74 New Member

Hello,

i don´t know if this video has been discussed before, but i think it is really amazing :eek: :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meae-vWJ7KU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meae-vWJ7KU[/ame]

Very simple, very strong!
    But I confess, I have not the courage to try it myself...

Regards,

Oliver

2. Gniaffron

Gniaffron Junior Member

This is definitely a slingshot one can make in a dollar store! I think I will give it a try not with a strong band nor heavy ammo, just in case you know...

3. Pafic

Pafic Trainee

that guy is Romanian, he makes me feel proud to be Romanian too :D

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Looks like the adult version of the old classroom favourite of looping an elastic band over your thumb and index fingers and firing spitballs at people.

Cant be that much more dangerous than a PFS surely?

5. Malleus

Malleus Suspended User

I love the forkless slingshot concept, infact last year it was pretty much the only slingshot I used.

There are several bareback slingshot videos on youtube but romanianshadows' method of holding and pouch attachment is the one I used.

I have made light versions using a single light tube and it was only with the light ones that I hit my hand.

It's a pity romanianshadow only has a few vids, I really enjoy them.

6. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

Am I the only one that is nervous about that hitting my hand? I mean its like 1 cm above your hand.

7. WATERLOGIC

WATERLOGIC Banned

I posted this http://slingshotforum.com/topic/30160-reconstruction-attempt-from-the-past-frameless-stealth-slingshot/

in February

[​IMG]

Same but with tube (s).

Works great . Be careful regarding the pouch - RTS danger if not done properly (the strings at the pouch should be long enough and do not use very thin leather ). Otherwise perfectly safe. With practice very good precision possible. (I do not recommend butterfly style with this …)

This guys are using the same thing for hunting flying fox bats :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNlyuWhT62w

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  8. Malleus

Malleus Suspended User

It's only a matter of dropping the holding hand a bit when you realese, similar to a flip. I find it's a natural single motion shooting action, drawing with one hand while pushing and aiming with the other, as you realese the pushing aiming hand is naturally moving out of the way.

I hope that makes sense.

The couple of times I hit my hand was because I was distracted by talking to someone and wasn't shooting in a single motion.

If you are worried you could try shooting soft ammo like rolled up silver foil to get used to it.

9. WATERLOGIC

WATERLOGIC Banned

It is almost impossible to hit your hand if you grip the rubber like this :

[​IMG]

(the pouch is attached to the upper tube) . As I said above there is a danger of RTS (pouch does not open - only if not done properly - see my previous post)

10. romanianshadow

romanianshadow New Member

Hello,

I'm glad that you like the romanian model.
    If anybody needs some tips to start this shooting style, I think I can help.

Here are some things that I've noticed over time:

1) When making such a forkless, single band, slingshot, try using soft flat bands (Theraband gold or thinner is ok). Avoid making such a slingshot from tubes or thick flat bands. The more rigid the band is, the more chances you have to shoot your hand.

2) When you are new to this shooting style, avoid using the over-fist grip. Rather use the over-fingers grip (it is much more controllable becaus of the larger prybar). In the video posted in the beginning of this topic, I was showing several gripping styles. Gripping over two bent fingers is strong enough for use with an average rubber band and offers the best control.

3) Steps for a clean, safe shot:
    - Load the slingshot
    - Extend it keeping the face of your fist up
    - Start turning your forward hand with fist forward
    - As soon as you start turning your forward hand, release the pouch
    - The slingshot springs and travels forward, further than your forward hand, beforw your forward hand finishes its turning-forward motion
    - The puch tends to keep its position with opening forward (caused by the inertia) and the projectile leaves it
    Note: as soon as you become familiar with this shooting style, you will feel it so natural that the bending forward motion of the forward hand will become almost unperceptible for the eye.

4) First time shooters (or any shooter who wants to exercise in closed spaces) can safely use compressed paper mops as projectiles. You can make some balls out of paper, compressing as much as you can with your fingers. Then, you may want to wrap them around with ordinary adhesive band, so that they can be reused after the first shot. Paper is soft and deformable enough to be safe. I am using this for a long time to exercise in closed spaces (even in my room) and have never broke any window with such a projectile (despite I've hit several).

I hope you find these tips useful.

Warm Regards!

11. WATERLOGIC

WATERLOGIC Banned

"The more rigid the band is, the more chances you have to shoot your hand."

Can you explain this ?

According to older people this kind of slingshot was used in Macedonia at least 50 years ago (using thick rubber stripes cut from tractor inner tubes) . Probably the idea came from Asia.

Also I use one with double thera tube red (as shown above) and I have no problems - the tubes also last much much longer.

I think the only point of serious and careful consideration is the pouch (avoid thin leather and too short string).

Btw the knot you use for attaching the pouch to the rubber is not constrictor knot.

This is a constrictor knot:

[​IMG]

The knot you use is this one :
    [​IMG]

most of the time called : Lark's head (cow hitch)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  12. romanianshadow

romanianshadow New Member

Thanks for the knot info and sorry for my confusion.

Regarding the other points:

"According to older people this kind of slingshot was used in Macedonia at least 50 years ago (using thick rubber stripes cut from tractor inner tubes) . Probably the idea came from Asia."

There are several variations in bareback slingshots that have been used for several years during the past decades. The exact model that I am showing in my videos has been in use in South Romania since the rubber itself (my grandpa was using it during the period immediately following World War I). However, as I do not have further historical information, I do not exclude the possibility that something similar could be used in other geographical areas at the same time (or even before).

"Also I use one with double thera tube red (as shown above) and I have no problems - the tubes also last much much longer."

Tubes work (and so do think flat bands); but they are more prone to induce accidents than thin flat bands, because they have difficulties when translating from position behind your hand to position forward your forward hand when the slingshot is released (unless you do an ample hand-down movement - which is very dangerous when using really strong stuff).
    In your case, theraband red is in the softer side of the Theraband series and probably that's why you don't have issues with it. If you use stronger bands, you will notice it is not possible to be effective with tubes (because they are rigid and this makes them difficult to control). I am typically using a setup of 5 full-width theraband blue expanding about 5-6 times the original length when I load. That can be only used with the full-fist grip. Do you really thing that could work with tubes??
    Now, on the other side, if you use two tubes and link each end of the pouch to each of the tubes, that will probably work better with tubes. But that is still applicable only if you use soft, weak tubes.

Best Regards,
    Shadow

13. Malleus

Malleus Suspended User

@romanianshadow

Do you have a formula to match band and ammo types ?

I use a full width length of Black Roylan band, which seems similar to Theraband Black, and I mostly shoot glass marbles with it. I guess this is way to powerful for the light ammo I'm using, I shot a few 12mm lead balls with it yesterday and they went like rockets. It also works well with large stones if I attach a bigger pouch.

Maybe if you could tell us what configuration of bands you use for different ammo types we could work out what's best for us.
    For example, if you hunt then what band and ammo do you use for what game?

14. Exigent

Exigent New Member

I did something similar with bungee cords. I stopped doing it after I had a rock hit my hand however, not fun. I suppose if I had a skid plate protecting my fingers and thumbs i'd consider doing it, but at that point I might as well have a slingshot on me.

15. Phoghat

Phoghat Hacker of things

neither do I

16. Redloesebob

Redloesebob Slingshot Veteran

I had the courage to try this bareback shooting style. It went pretty good and it felt good, and also i did'nt hit my hand.

But the other way some projectiles flew backwards instead of forward where i was aiming.

I suspect it has to do with to short string from the pouch to the rubber, but it seemed good the majority of shots i made.

I have already started using full width TBG.

17. Malleus

Malleus Suspended User

What "other way" ?

I shoot the way romanianshadow does in the video and I suggest about 5 to 6 inches of string between pouch and band. The only time I had any problems was when I replaced the pouch, the new pouch I put on caused many shots to go astray, I think the leather was a bit too thick. So I just made another pouch out of thin leather and all was good again.

18. Redloesebob

Just bad english i guess, my meaning was that that i got some blowback during the shooting but still good. :p

I shoot with like half that length of string between pouch and rubber. But now i consider making a longer set.

19. Super Baba

Super Baba Vashikaran Gold Medalist

You say you lack courage? Do not fear, help is only a minute away! Call +919680636288 and Baba will forever look over you from the Vashikaran Heavens. Order the new "Divine Protection" package for only 999.99$! Call now!

20. Redloesebob

Attaching the pouch to the string without hole question.

A question to Romanianshadow ( or if anyone elso know's ) how to attach the string to the pouch without making holes in the pouch?

Nowadays it's not the band's that tear but the pouch itself.

I really would like to find out. :eek: