Balls to Bolts

Discussion in 'Slingshot Crossbows' started by tomfreds66, Jun 26, 2015.

1. tomfreds66

tomfreds66 Member

Still have a good supply of these 6 inch pistol crossbow bolts leftover from an old project. That and a spare 24 inch draw ball shooter. So why not combine the two. :)
    Will modify the crossbow to the classic open rail design, keeping the lines as clean as possible.
    Launching these light (6 grams) projectiles from an open rail has proved problematic in the past, but I have a couple of ideas that should hopefully work.

Attached Files:

2. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I too have had trouble with the lightness of those bolts, but I imagine the bigger challenge for this project will be the adaptation of the trigger mechanism

3. tomfreds66

tomfreds66 Member

Finished the bolt shooter to today. Had to reposition the fork to the underside to line up rubber and string. The rail was a 10 minute cut and hot glue job. Similarly the nut was cut and re profiled to hold string. Power is supplied by single 5080 tubes.
    The hardest part of the build was making the string and d loop. Took a couple of goes to get the lengths and angles right. This is when I realized that to get everything optimal with this set up you should work out and make the band set with loops first then build the crossbow to suit. Anyhow, even this make do build worked very well with every launch working perfectly. The rail is a tad too narrow but works well. The cord was just the right diameter to suit the bolts.
    Was very happy that I found a way to shoot light bolts from a open rail. Aiming was so easy being able to sight unobstructed straight down the rail.
    Good little learning project, but unfortunately no potential to develop this shooter, with a ground up design required.

Attached Files:

4. CactiBeast

CactiBeast New Member

Nice shooter! Ive used the open-rail idea before and found that to hold the bolt in place when loaded a tongue of aluminium or similar material works well!